Exterior Dood Handle clip removal trick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullmoose44

Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have been working on the 1980 K10 for about 18 months now and was replacing the exterior door handles when I ran into the same issue as most everyone else has with the connecting rod clips. I watched several videos, read articles, and worked about an hour trying to get the nib lifted up so the clip could move down. After trying a lot of tools, I was trying to find a long, slim screwdriver to hold up the clip as I moved it down but did not have one long enough. I was looking in the shop and saw an 18" 5/8" wood spade bit so I tried that. 30 seconds later I had it off and not much longer on the other side!! The point on the bit fits right under the top of the clip if you work from the window or lock pull hole. When you tap it down, it holds the nib up and the shoulders on the bit contact the clip and push it right down. Some of you may already have a technique on this, but this was a revelation to me and worked great. I even made my first You Tube video showing the procedure.

Brett77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
502 stroker
I did mine didn't think much about the clip, not as hard as it looked guess I was lucky.