Exhaust single to dual on a tight budget - Then we get into some after issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Yup, make up some sort of bracketry to hang off the dangly parts you want shielded. Unless you welded some bracketry to the muffler. Either way, you have this. Pictures please.
My install time will be limited as it always seems to be, so there might not be any in progress pic, but certainly there will be pictures after the job is done. The one bad thing about the dump bed, is I can't hang a shield off the bed, like I can for the tank switch, where I can just hang a shield off the floor pan. And I can't lap anything from the top of the pump motor to the side because there is a relay, similar to like a Ford starter relay. I suppose I could just weld a couple of small pieces of metal to the ends of the muffler and then weld or bolt the shield to that. Might wait to see if I like these mufflers before doing that, but I guess I've got a couple ideas rolling around anyway.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok today is the day! Got to the shop about 1 1/4 before open. All I was able to get done was to remove the old exhaust. The main issue I ran into was that the down pipe to manifold bolts were in bad shape. I should have known that would be an issue, but I just didn't think of it. So I spent most of the morning time getting out broken bolts, fortunately the three that snapped did it near the pipe flange, so I could still get a pair of vise grips on them. After heating the manifold flange red hot they all came out ok. New bolts.... I should have ordered them ahead of time! But luckily between O'Reilly's and Napa I've got a set. Had O'Reilly's send a couple extra clamps and hangers just so I'd have them on hand if needed. So I'll have my lunch time to work on it, and anything else will have to be after work, because our sales guy is out today so I'm strapped to the front counter. I have to get the pipes and mufflers done at minimum, I can run home tonight without tail pipes if I have to. Well we will see how time holds out I suppose.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Lunch time yielded studs installed into the manifolds and down pipes installed. That's as far as I have made it. I have read some people complain that the right side down pipe in the kit is not bent enough. I would agree with that. It's not to bad I don't think. I think I'll be able to force it up some and tighten it down well enough to keep it from leaking at the manifold, but they could have done a little better. It's a low cost kit so I don't mind as long as it'll seal up. So I'll get at least the mufflers installed before I go home tonight.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Wrap the mufflers with barn metal the square ridge type,not genle bumps style. Secure it with hose clamps. You could even secure barn metal with hose clamp as brackets to hold proper.heat shields.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Wrap the mufflers with barn metal the square ridge type,not genle bumps style. Secure it with hose clamps. You could even secure barn metal with hose clamp as brackets to hold proper.heat shields.
Yea, I was kind of considering that too. Pretty similar to this stuff I was sold to use as a shield. We'll see I gotta get the system install before I can consider how the shields are going to work.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You talking about an h pipe before and that would have to be later. I've been installing h pipes since before you could by h pipes.. When you get the exhaust the way you want it,put the truck up in the air figure where you want your h pipe, cut a piece of exhaust tubing a little longer than that width,fish mouth it hold it where you want it mark your exhaust pipes burn a hole.with your torch and weld in your h pipe.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well, this afternoon was a disaster at the shop. So I got to work this morning at 6:45AM, 1/2 an hour before the 8AM opening time I get a call on my cell from the front counter guy, he's got a family situation and needs the day. Ok, he's a good guy, so of course I give him the day without a guilt trip. But at that point I had the exhaust off and was working on extracting the broken bolts so there was no turning back. The plan was for me to clock off about 3:30pm, so I'd have a couple hours to complete it but with him gone that wasn't going to happen.

So I was trying to get everyone to pick up their cars by 4:30pm so I could at least have an hour to concentrate on it. One guy comes in right at 4:30pm and wants to talk and talk, about the work done and another car he wants to bring in. He wasn't being a jerk he was just going on and on. 4:45pm he leaves! One car left in the parking lot, I'd called her several times and kept getting her voicemail. So I lock up. No sooner do I get under the truck with the intermediate pipes but I hear someone pounding and pounding on the front door. It's about 4:59 and 59 seconds (or so it feels) and it's the person I couldn't get hold of. I unlock the front door, turn the lights on, reboot the computer and the credit card machine, She was very appreciative and apologetic for not getting back to me. She leaves it's now 5:15pm, I should have been 1 hour and 45 minutes into finishing the truck but instead I've done nothing. I've got a truck with down pipes on and nothing else! I need to be to the farm no later than 6:30pm which means leaving the shop no later than 5:30pm.

Thanks to one of the guys that stayed with me off the clock the intermediate pipes, and mufflers went on quickly. Each side got one hanger. And we both drank one of those cans of crown and cola while doing it and I cannot tell you how badly I needed it. And we had the place locked up by 5:45pm. So I drove home without tail pipes.

I think these mufflers will be fine. They are definitely not to load, but at certain RPM like just off idle the rhythm of the exhaust is pretty noticeable and at that RPM there is a little much bass from it in the truck. It's not to loud, but a little annoying at that point of just off idle. But this pipe kit puts the mufflers a little closer to the engine, not much but the start of the mufflers about lines up with the bed / cab split, so I think without tail pipes I was getting about maximum exhaust note in the truck that those mufflers can give.

It is not practical to turn the passenger side muffler side ways as I had planned. It would make the muffler hang down a fair bit, and I'd hate to catch it on something or have a problem with dry grass in a field. So I have the muffler mounted just a little on the low side so the corner of the muffler ends up directly under the pump. I think I will take that shield I bought and attach it to the top of the muffler. I might just use those giant sized screw clamps, you know what I'm talking about, they look like a giant hose clamps to attach the shield.

So I'll have to get into the shop early again tomorrow. I want the tail pipes on it. Once that is done I can refine the hangers / add them as needed. I will most definitely need to protect the hydraulic hose from the end of the muffler and the tail pipe. I've got two 50' rolls of header wrap sitting on the shelf at the shop, so I may wrap the first bit of the tail pipe. Maybe I can wrap that stuff around the hose too. After that it will be adding a shield to the muffler for the pump, then shielding the tank valve and rubber lines there. I think, what I'll do and I'll probably do it at the farm, is to just take a piece of sheet metal and bolt it in place between the tank valve and the exhaust. At least that will prevent direct heat.

Order of business for the exhaust:
#1. Get the tail pipes on
#2. refine the hangers, adjust as needed possibly add additional hangers.
#3. Protect the hydraulic hose for the bed lift, from the muffler and tail pipe.
#4. Install the shield on the right side muffler to help protect the pump for the bed lift from the heat.
#5. Make a shield to attach to the frame to protect the tank valve from direct heat. If needed wrap the pipe there too.
#6. After having driven the truck for a week or two and assuming I'm happy with the set up I'll weld the pipe joints. Not sure if I will do full welds or just tacks. But I'll cross that bridge last on the exhaust trip lol.

Then it'll be done.
Getting the tail pipes on should further mellow the mufflers, and as we all well know sometimes they will change sound a little after a few runs, so I'm waiting to judge them until after the tail pipes are on, but I think I'll be fine with them.

I will say when I was cruising at 60MPH for a bit I could not hear the exhaust at all unless I really got on it. That's a big plus. The last thing I'd want is to be listening to the exhaust when I'm on a long freeway run for feed.

Thanks @Ricko1966 for the H-pipe info I will keep that in mind.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
We want photos!
I know, I know! Like a warned earlier install time before and after work is limited. You'll get photos of the completed project if nothing else and I plan to shoot video so you can hear it. I actually took some video today on the road without the tailpipes. I'll try to get that uploaded this morning.

84c10Tony

Howdy!
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Was 84
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
A thought for you, take the heat plate, cut an inch or two away from the ends, bend that into "feet" on the corners for a strap or weld, might work for the application.
Then maybe cut out sugar and any HFCS, try some Valerian root for the stress instead of "alcamahol", easier on the system, the brain, family, and drivers license.
No judgen', just a thought.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
A thought for you, take the heat plate, cut an inch or two away from the ends, bend that into "feet" on the corners for a strap or weld, might work for the application.
Then maybe cut out sugar and any HFCS, try some Valerian root for the stress instead of "alcamahol", easier on the system, the brain, family, and drivers license.
No judgen', just a thought.
That's a good idea on the plate, and I might do that. As for the "alcamahol" I need to knock that chit off and I know it....

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Lunch update. Both tail pipes are on. I'll drive it like this tonight as I doubt I'll have time to play with shielding or wrapping tonight. But I can get a better take on how it really sounds. I'll try to get the videos from this morning up since I didn't have time to do it earlier.

As for the kit. I think it's fine for what it is, an inexpensive kit. But if this was say an $800 kit I'd bbitch about the fitment. The left side tailpipe does not extend out as far as I'd like. It's about flush with the body, I can live with that, and if it bugs me enough I'll cut it back some and weld an extension on to it and the pipes run in the correct locations to use the factory hangers, or at least the factory bolt holes. The right side, the passenger side is bit more of an issue. The bend is not correct on the right side down pipe, as the elbow is not bent enough. It's not horribly off, and I was able to force it to where it needs to be by swiveling it a bit on the manifold joint. But the pipe on the right side ends up being slightly shorter than the left side, which it's just a couple inches, but once I get back to the axle it hits. So I added a short extension between the muffler and the axle, which also puts just the amount of tailpipe out I'd like to see.

I have the joints clamped for now, to make it a little easier if I need to change something up. I had to buy 4 clamps, and 3 hangers, again not a big deal in a cheap kit, but would tick me off if it was higher priced kit.

So tonight I'll get a good feel for the sound with the tailpipes.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
man u sucka tail pipes,,,,,,,,, no pics ever.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Ok videos from this morning! These are all driving videos, with the thrush turbo mufflers on, but no tailpipes. First video, in town and then crossing the river.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Second video on a secondary road at 60-65mph in overdrive and up a slight hill, I really hope that big of low resonation goes away with the tailpipes.

Last video going up a steep hill, stepping in on it in second gear around 2,500rpm, until we hit traffic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666