Exhaust Routing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I talked to a muffler shop today getting quotes on installing dual exhaust and he informed me that you cant run duals on driver side by gas tank, you have to crossover then switch back over, first I'll heard of this

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's bologna, the tank is outside the frame and the exhaust is inside the frame. Was it an over-the-phone conversation? Maybe the guy just hasn't been around old trucks much. What he said is true with newer trucks.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Second of all the driver's side is the easiest side to run the exhaust on, while the passenger side is a little bit more tough due to the transfer case being in the way.

bigge31566

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ervin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Stopped by but without truck, I know that sounded crazy, didnt know if it was some kind of new law

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Also, it's not even because the exhaust can't be near the fuel tank on the newer trucks, it's just that there's simply not enough clearance there. There's a bazillion cars out there that have the exhaust run right next to the tank.

Tranz Zam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
LM7 5.3
Also, it's not even because the exhaust can't be near the fuel tank on the newer trucks, it's just that there's simply not enough clearance there. There's a bazillion cars out there that have the exhaust run right next to the tank.

x2. He just doesn't know what he's talking about.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Go to a better shop. Sounds like he's ill informed or like most muffler shops, just plain lazy. Custom (good) muffler shops can do just about anything with the right tools. Like most drive in, drive out muffler shops they are all about making a quick buck. Call around and interview other shops. You get what you're willing to pay for. Make sure to get quoted on a aluminized or other rust resistant piping or you'll be replacing the exhaust again soon.

Last edited:

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Get an aftermarket trans crossmemberif you want duals, after having someone who I thought would be able to do a good job on my exhaust and didn't, I'm contemplating a new crossmember so I don't have to run one pipe over it and one below it like it is now! I'm still also just contemplating doing a single setup next, but most likely after I get new headers!

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Just get the exhaust to shoot out under the cab like mine. The drive thru folks will love you! :D

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I have duals on mine no problems. had duals for quite a while. runs pretty much straight back, then dumps out the sides.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Get an aftermarket trans crossmemberif you want duals, after having someone who I thought would be able to do a good job on my exhaust and didn't, I'm contemplating a new crossmember so I don't have to run one pipe over it and one below it like it is now! I'm still also just contemplating doing a single setup next, but most likely after I get new headers!

You may just need to source the other style factory cross member. I don't recall the application, but instead of one side up and one down, it was symmetrical.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
And yeah, a good exhaust shop can run duals on most vehicles. The '88 k1500 I picked up has true duals. They ran them over to the passenger side to get around the inboard fuel tank. Did a nice job too. Mufflers are a little louder than I would have liked, but they did quality work, so I won't mess with it until I have to.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Not sure what year and model you have but Hooker Headers sells a mandrel bent (no kinks) 2.25" system that is bent to clear the crossmember. Ive seen a few trucks online with this kit and it fits pretty good. Im going to use the kit as well when its time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rdaghoian1