exhaust/header project- need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ok, so whats the point in changing it? I edited my last post btw...was on the phone with th wife...car got broken into in Berkeley.

Damn, that sucks about the car.

There wasn't much point in changing it. I had the stock air cleaner off to make some adjustments, the shiny new chrome air cleaner was sitting on the shelf nearby, and I like being able to get at things without always removing the big stock air cleaner. It's not that I dislike the stock air cleaner with the little heat valve, it's just I've never really understood why people make a big fuss about them.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350

There wasn't much point in changing it. I had the stock air cleaner off to make some adjustments, the shiny new chrome air cleaner was sitting on the shelf nearby, and I like being able to get at things without always removing the big stock air cleaner. It's not that I dislike the stock air cleaner with the little heat valve, it's just I've never really understood why people make a big fuss about them.

ok well how cold does it get there in the mornings

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
ok well how cold does it get there in the mornings

It varies quite a bit. The coldest months are often in the teens in the morning, but often is down closer to zero or lower.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

Thanks. Some bonhead stole about a $1.50 in change, and got a friends backpack.
Cost us $260 to replace the window...Big ouchy with her on maternity leave.
Anyways, I replied on wednsday night, I copy and pasted a pretty good splanation on how it works....guess I forgot to hit the post button.
Funny last night on FB, Jake Wells sent me a message....he has been experiencing carb icing lately, and is another good reason to have a heat source available for the intake.
Here it be:
Heated air intake systems operate on the principle of increasing the temperature of the airױ, the fuel will more effectively stay in suspension in the air rather than falling out of suspension and forming droplets on the floor of the manifold. Warm air from the outside of an exhaust manifold is drawn up into the air cleaner to increase the air temperature as quickly as possible after the engine starts. The air cleaner assembly incorporates a thermostatic vacuum switch that responds to the air temperature after the air filter element and actuates a vacuum motor that moves the control flap to allow the air to be drawn from a cooler location such as the top of the engine bay or outside the engine bay. If the air becomes too cold, the thermostatic switch will automatically change back to drawing heated air from around the outside of the exhaust.
The system was often used with computerised carburettors or throttle body injection systems but is typically not used with multi-point fuel injection, as the problem of fuel falling out of suspension does not occur when the fuel injectors are located close to the inlet valves.
There are exceptions to this however. Some vehicles, such as the 1992 and 1993 Fox body Mustangs, do use such as a system even though they have multi-port fuel injection, presumably to help the air-fuel mixture burn at the proper rate in cold weather, as even though the fuel has finely atomized, it has not properly vaporized, and therefore flame propagation will be otherwise slower. These vehicles have a MAF sensor, Air Temperature sensor, and when equipped with the 2.3L 4-cylinder two spark-plugs per cylinder. This combination ensures the air is just warm enough to vaporise the droplets and does very noticeably improve performance and emissions at the same time in cold, northern winter weather.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ok, so whats the point in changing it? I edited my last post btw...was on the phone with th wife...car got broken into in Berkeley.

Sorry to hear that friend.

Posted from mobile...

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Thanks. Some bonhead stole about a $1.50 in change, and got a friends backpack.
Cost us $260 to replace the window...Big ouchy with her on maternity leave.
Anyways, I replied on wednsday night, I copy and pasted a pretty good splanation on how it works....guess I forgot to hit the post button.
Funny last night on FB, Jake Wells sent me a message....he has been experiencing carb icing lately, and is another good reason to have a heat source available for the intake.
Here it be:
Heated air intake systems operate on the principle of increasing the temperature of the air×±, the fuel will more effectively stay in suspension in the air rather than falling out of suspension and forming droplets on the floor of the manifold. Warm air from the outside of an exhaust manifold is drawn up into the air cleaner to increase the air temperature as quickly as possible after the engine starts. The air cleaner assembly incorporates a thermostatic vacuum switch that responds to the air temperature after the air filter element and actuates a vacuum motor that moves the control flap to allow the air to be drawn from a cooler location such as the top of the engine bay or outside the engine bay. If the air becomes too cold, the thermostatic switch will automatically change back to drawing heated air from around the outside of the exhaust.
The system was often used with computerised carburettors or throttle body injection systems but is typically not used with multi-point fuel injection, as the problem of fuel falling out of suspension does not occur when the fuel injectors are located close to the inlet valves.
There are exceptions to this however. Some vehicles, such as the 1992 and 1993 Fox body Mustangs, do use such as a system even though they have multi-port fuel injection, presumably to help the air-fuel mixture burn at the proper rate in cold weather, as even though the fuel has finely atomized, it has not properly vaporized, and therefore flame propagation will be otherwise slower. These vehicles have a MAF sensor, Air Temperature sensor, and when equipped with the 2.3L 4-cylinder two spark-plugs per cylinder. This combination ensures the air is just warm enough to vaporise the droplets and does very noticeably improve performance and emissions at the same time in cold, northern winter weather.

One problem I realized today... The heat tube goes to the manifolds!!! I got headers so it won't work... But it rarely goes below 20 or so here in winter so I should be good. I got one header in today it's a slow process.... It wouldn't fit without takin the central Bumpstop bracket out! I'll have to modify it sometime and put it back in

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
it gets 20 below here and we run long tubes and open elements, we do like bucket, 4 pumps or more if need be, fire it up, run it some, until it idles on it's own then drive it.

We always get rid of everything emissions since we don't have inspection, we get rid of manifolds, cats(use gutted ones) egr, air, you name it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Some day that will change Swims, mark my words. :D

GF if you still want to run the heat tube just split the end of it and use hose clamps to hold it right to the header tube or you can buy or make something like this. Hell, I bet I could even fab a hose mount out of a beer can if I wanted too. :D

Here is a short discussion on the topic:

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4989&highlight=tube,+heat

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
not for me lol if we get inspections that prohibit that crap then I'll just not have anything street legal they'll stay off road and the fun can really begin.

huge lifts and tires, now were are stuck to 31 inch bumper height, unless you go antique and that's a big worry and hassle for me. They are strict on limits of what you can and can't do, Curt was telling me about it.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
now im thinkin i may take off the egr... its in the way of eveything

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
bad pics, can't see the center holes if they are missing or not, and can't see the sawblade marks on the end.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
12558062 is the part number you want for Vortecs.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I had that cam in a 305 and a 350 I was not impressed at all, we wanted somewhat of a rougher idle and it's perfectly smooth, they said it'd help torque and crap and fall on it's face after 5-5500, and it just sucked, might as well have been a stock cam IMO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
di11ard