exhaust/header project- need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
as you all may know ive talked about doing a header/exhaust system for a while..... well its time! thursday it goes on the lift and me and my dad are going to do it. flowtech headers, exhaust system, and terminator mufflers. got all the parts. time to do it. just one thing... i want to clean up the engine bay to simplify things. this will be a no cat vehicle so i know the air pump can go... but what else? what all has to do with the air pump and cat that can be removed? or anything really under the hood can be removed? anything should i definitely keep?? any help appreciated.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
as you all may know ive talked about doing a header/exhaust system for a while..... well its time! thursday it goes on the lift and me and my dad are going to do it. flowtech headers, exhaust system, and terminator mufflers. got all the parts. time to do it. just one thing... i want to clean up the engine bay to simplify things. this will be a no cat vehicle so i know the air pump can go... but what else? what all has to do with the air pump and cat that can be removed? or anything really under the hood can be removed? anything should i definitely keep?? any help appreciated.

The only 2 things you would benefit from keeping, is EGR, and the stock air cleaner wit heat tube. I wouldnt go any bigger than 2 1/4 true duals....gonna need to keep as much low end as possible with a 305.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
The only 2 things you would benefit from keeping, is EGR, and the stock air cleaner wit heat tube. I wouldnt go any bigger than 2 1/4 true duals....gonna need to keep as much low end as possible with a 305.

2.25 true duals is what i got :happy160: and the heat tube is gonna stay too. just curious why does egr help any?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
2.25 true duals is what i got :happy160: and the heat tube is gonna stay too. just curious why does egr help any?

keeps head temps and detonation don, so you can run more timing for better power and mpg.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Why does everyone say to keep the stock air cleaner? I find it it only helps keep the filter cleaner on a 4x4, besides that, nothing is ever different with an open-element cleaner.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Why does everyone say to keep the stock air cleaner? I find it it only helps keep the filter cleaner on a 4x4, besides that, nothing is ever different with an open-element cleaner.

he was goin more for the heat tube part to help warm up quicker on cold mornings, i think... cuz open element air cleaner would render it useless

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
oh and my truck is pretty much retired from off road duty anyway :) i figured it was too nice to do that to it anymore, bein low miles and good condition.... made me sick to mess anything up. and i like things to look clean anyway. hopefully ill get the cash for a beater k5 soon... now i just gotta pressure wash all the nooks and crannies...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
he was goin more for the heat tube part to help warm up quicker on cold mornings, i think... cuz open element air cleaner would render it useless

That's why I was wondering. I don't know how many times I've run an open element on a DD even in the dead of winter, without any trouble at all. Heck I do it now. 4 pumps of the gas, fire it up, let it idle for about 5-10 seconds (not minutes), then drive off.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
That's why I was wondering. I don't know how many times I've run an open element on a DD even in the dead of winter, without any trouble at all. Heck I do it now. 4 pumps of the gas, fire it up, let it idle for about 5-10 seconds (not minutes), then drive off.

Warm air when needed, cool air once at operating temp...instead of the other way around.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Warm air when needed, cool air once at operating temp...instead of the other way around.

I'm just saying I think it's more theory than it is fact. I mean, I'm sure there are tests that show that it does help, but not help enough to make a noticeable difference.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'm just saying I think it's more theory than it is fact. I mean, I'm sure there are tests that show that it does help, but not help enough to make a noticeable difference.

Engine notices...
You want as much help as you can get with cold start fuel atomization, especially with the choke closed.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Engine notices...

Eh, I still don't think I'm a believer, lol. Truck drives exactly the same, gets the same mpg, heat starts to get warm at the same spot everyday, etc. I can see it making a difference in the summertime, but these trucks have pretty good airflow under the hood.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Eh, I still don't think I'm a believer, lol. Truck drives exactly the same, gets the same mpg, heat starts to get warm at the same spot everyday, etc. I can see it making a difference in the summertime, but these trucks have pretty good airflow under the hood.

Ok, so whats the point in changing it? I edited my last post btw...was on the phone with th wife...car got broken into in Berkeley.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128