Evaporator housing "gunk" + leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
Working on getting my ac up and running, and I see this black stuff oozing out of the black enclosure for the evaporator:

You must be registered for see images attach

Is this an oil leak from the ac lines? Or is this a sealant of some sort?
When I have the blower going (heat or AC) I can feel leakage of air coming out.
Any tips on sealing this up?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
No, not an oil leak.
As you suggest, it's just sealant. Actually it's the GM factory installed sealant - a 3M product called Strip-Calk (sic).

If - for whatever reason - you had to disassemble the entire evaporator you would find it used to seal a couple of other joints as well:

I works well and normally stays put forever. Doesn't usually ooze like yours.

Anyway, I don't use it because the stuff is kind of expensive ($20 as shown above) and difficult to find sometimes. But the biggest drawback is that it is only sold in boxes containing 60 feet which results in a lot of waste - unless you are in the business and can use it up.

A couple of better alternatives are black silicone sealant and common foam rubber weather stripping (like for household windows and doors).

The silicone is used to seal the aluminum tubing penetrations in the evap casing and also where the heater core nipples pass through the fan housing:

Seal the joint between the evap casing halves with silicone (yellow) and seal the assembled evap/fan housing to the firewall with the foam weatherstripping (red):

Last edited:

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
By black silicone sealant, do you mean the black RTV gasket stuff?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
No, just GE Silicone II in the caulking gun size tube. Here - it's like $6 at Lowes:

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
The problem with silicone is it actually cures. Silicone is great for the housing halves. The Silicone is too runny to fill big gaps like the holes around the evaporator tubes. It'll puddle inside and glue the evaporator into the housing.
I would use the 3M strip calk around the big gaps where the evaporator lines penetrate the fiberglass.

adamj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L TBI
What about seam sealer that is used for body panels, could that be used for the larger hole? I ask because I already have some that I used recently for the wheel well.

hatzie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I'd use what we used to call Dum Dum tape. The actual trade name for it is Prestite tape.
http://www.acsource.com/prestitetape.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/CoolPro-Climate-Control-Products-Prestite/dp/B000FS3UHW
http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/tape/santech-prestite-tape/158980_0_0/

It's a gooey sticky cork impregnated non-hardening butyl extruded into a long flat tape and rolled up on a wax paper tape. It's specifically made for sealing air holes around AC hard-lines in buildings and vehicles.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1