Engine threaded bosses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

this goes on the engine block or the bellhousing, I think 4wd or 2wd and possibly trans and engine size may determine which is used. I believe the angle of attack may have been the important factor so that clutch pedal use would not have any binding and such and the 2wd and 4wd mounts being different height and big block vs small block mounts also diferent i think? Mine appears to be on the bellhousing I think from what I can tell... but it may have to be on the block based on the angle too.

These would be on the frame side

I believe cars utilized the engine block stud more often or perhaps used a bracket which bolted there. thedepth of the hole is probably for the possiblebracket being bolted to the spot instead of a stud only.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I couldn't say why they bothered to drill the holes that deep, but yes they are for ball studs.

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
Have never installed the pivot stud, so do not know.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Where is a good tap for an oil pressure sender? Any idea what the thread is?

THX fellas.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
Couple more on the left rear side of the block. I only ask about these because the guy that built the motor stripped it to hot tank it, so not sure if there is anything missing, like a plug, etc. Also, many times bosses this close to an oil filter will work for an oil pressure sensor, etc.

These holes are deep - I can put a longer screwdriver all the way in the back one.

THX

Yes the rear is that deep. It’s actually behind the engine.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes the rear is that deep. It’s actually behind the engine.

My trans is in so couldn't check it but kind of thought it might go all the way through. I've had issues in the past (4N motors) with plugs removed for hot tanking that needed to be there, coolant passages, line pressure oil, etc.

Thanks!

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
Where is a good tap for an oil pressure sender? Any idea what the thread is?

THX fellas.
The factory spot is behind the intake next to distributor. I pretty sure it’s a 1/8” pipe thread.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The factory spot is behind the intake next to distributor. I pretty sure it’s a 1/8” pipe thread.
Thanks Lug! Unsure at this point what will fit where until I get the FI intake on.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Thanks Lug! Unsure at this point what will fit where until I get the FI intake on.
Almost all the fuel injection stuff also take oil pressure from there. There is often an oil pressure switch that is threaded into the small plugged port right above the oil filter and down to the left of the hole you had the screwdriver shoved into. That location doesn't get as good of a pressure reading, but is good enough for a switch. They use the switch for choke and fuel pump power on fuel injected engines. This allows the engine to keep running even if the fuel pump relay dies while driving.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I think auroragirl was making fun of all the bolt-ons (like a dipstick tube) that are labeled as performance parts.

Just search a few other forums (Mustang, Camaro, BMW, etc.) for postings on painting calipers and you will realize how many guys think it really increases the “cool factor” to have painted calipers that show through their fancy wheels. BMW even offers different colors for your calipers as a factory option.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think auroragirl was making fun of all the bolt-ons (like a dipstick tube) that are labeled as performance parts.

Just search a few other forums (Mustang, Camaro, BMW, etc.) for postings on painting calipers and you will realize how many guys think it really increases the “cool factor” to have painted calipers that show through their fancy wheels. BMW even offers different colors for your calipers as a factory option.

and im not even shy about it LOL
The real reason they are red is the powerstop calipers that were for my car come in red or silver to be painted, and they were cheaper red and I didnt trust the no name brands and wanted to have a set to bolt on if mine were problematic. I ended up not putting them on till much later when I was bleeding my ABS so I figured why the hell not. If i was super on the red part, I would have made the rear red. those are just rusty haha. But yes you are correct

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80