Engine oil cooler lines leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
My 2003 Silverado 8.1L has both lines leaking where the hard line gets crimped onto the rubber hose. Very common for these to leak. Replace them- and they just start leaking again in 10k-20k miles it seems. People who live in cold climates seem to think they expand and stretch out more.

I'm thinking about just repairing them. Anyone done this? Cut the factory crimp off, clean the hard line, then slide on some good high quality hydraulic hose over it and double clamp it?

You must be registered for see images attach

I like how the hard line is supposedly ribbed. And if I could cram the hose up and over that flared out section I think it would be even better to put one clamp on both sides on it.

I bought some clamps like this:

They are smooth on the inside so that the slits from the worm screw don't cut up the rubber hose.

Pictures were just found on Google of someone else trying to repair them.

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Looks like it will work out just fine. Even better if you can get it slid over the flared section. There are places out here that will take your hose replace the hose and crimped section. Are there any places out there that can do that?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Looks like it will work out just fine. Even better if you can get it slid over the flared section. There are places out here that will take your hose replace the hose and crimped section. Are there any places out there that can do that?

Supposedly there might be a hydraulic place out here somewhere-

I think I'll have pretty good access to do them with them on the truck. I've heard stories of losing the little retainer clip that holds the ends on. Also to get to the lines at the back of the engine it can be a pain in the butt. Most remove the driveshaft and sometimes the differential.

I'll know more when I get elbow deep in it what my options are.

I'm just worried if they pop off.... or if there is a better clamp out there.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
idk about a better clamp... just makes you wonder what design flaw leaves them leaking in the first place.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
idk about a better clamp... just makes you wonder what design flaw leaves them leaking in the first place.

I had stopped by and talked to a mechanic friend about them. He said he would have no problem at all about clamping them with new hose. He said just keep an eye on them.

He also thought it was the heating and cooling on them that seems to make the factory crimp loosen up over time. And once they are lose you can't really re-crimp them. At least with a hose clamp you can then give them a 1/2 turn or so to snug them up a bit more.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
That's cool man glad you found a solution. i think he's right about the hearing and cooling it makes sense.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

ecmjamsit

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I did this repair on a 77 Suburban 454. Somehow I managed to get some "Space Shuttle Certified" hose. Worked good with double clamps and never leaked.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've repaired them like that before, it worked well. When your are cutting the crimp off, be very careful not to nick the raised flanges in the line. Those smooth clamps might not be a good idea though, they might not have enough bite to crank them tight without slipping notches.

Old conversion vans with aftermarket rear AC often had rubber lines that were held on with hose clamps. The clamps had tabs that went around a raised flange on the fitting. Clamps like that should work in this case too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmritz