Engine Misfire/Shutoff after just 30 minutes of driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drake Brown

Reaction score
First Name
Drake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Hi All,
I have a 1987 C20 5.7L 350 Longbed, with around 50,000 original miles on it. I have been having this problem for 2 months now, and it started about a month after purchasing it. I don’t know a lot about trucks, but i’m learning. The first time it happened to me i was on the freeway, cruising at 70, when suddenly i can’t accelerate anymore, i press gas, nothing, but engine is still on. I pulled over to shoulder, and when i came to a stop, the engine reengaged and i could go again, but only real slow before it’d happen again. This happened about 2 times before my uncle looked at it. He thought it was a transmission problem, so i got the transmission rebuilt . Maybe 4-5 days after the transmission rebuild, it happened to me again. This time, the engine completely shut off. Since then i have, replaced spark plugs, wires, distributor rotor and cap. And replaced fuel filter, but no dice. The issue is worse then ever, happening after only about 30 minutes of driving around town, i don’t even go on the freeway anymore, i can’t really comfortably drive anywhere past 5 miles. Keep in mind the truck starts up fine everytime, when it’s running fine it runs good, until the misfire/failure happens. To describe what happens, first the gas pedal loses traction, followed by a loud metal grinding/bumping sound coming from the front, the truck will often make a very loud pop sound, and it is followed by a terrible, burning smell. After this happens I can usually keep driving it, very slowly, but i can feel the tension in the gas pedal, if i rev it, it will happen. I have a video that i will attach to this. If anyone has any recommendations or experienced something similar that’d be great a help, noone has seemed to identify the issue yet, it’s very frustrating and i don’t want to have to sell her!

-Drake

Drake Brown

Reaction score
First Name
Drake
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
350 5.7L
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Gman73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
Ck20
Engine Size
350 v8
Drake did anyone ever answer your question

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
You're gonna have to drop the tank old boy.
I bet its the rubber line in the gas.
Luckily, all you need is a screwdriver, a 15mm socket, and a 6 inch extension on a rachet.

Hope this helps!
Nice vid.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Must have went elsewhere since nobody instantly solved his problemo_O