Engine help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale c10
Engine Size
Need help I have a 1984 chevy Scottsdale 305 65,000 original miles just took off the factory manifolds the air tubs and the smog and belt did new spark plugs and wires filter oil everything and I can just turn the key and turn then it will finally run I slam my foot on the gas and it will stay running but really low like the idea really really low the motor shakes and wobles it was running perfect before I did all this I have the spark plugs gaped proper the wires are right wth is going on is my engine done for or s it something stupid can it be that I took off the emissions

Attachments

• DSC_0097.jpg
    DSC_0097.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 76

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
What kind of intake does it have? TBI or Quadrajet or some other carb?

Are you 100% certain the wires are correct? Sounds like they may not be. Odd #'s on driver side, even #'s on passenger side. Firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

Plugs on dizzy are in pairs. #1 should be the left plug on front pair (away from firewall) if dizzy is setup right. Go clockwise from their following the firing order.

Last edited:

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Top of pic is front of motor

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 68

Michael

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale c10
Engine Size
I will have to check my wires then make sure there all right because it ran perfect before I did all this can it be that I took my emissions off or does that have nothing to do with it

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I will have to check my wires then make sure there all right because it ran perfect before I did all this can it be that I took my emissions off or does that have nothing to do with it

Removal of the AIR pump and tubes will not affect the engine. I did it on my 350 and replaced the stock manifolds with longtube headers. My truck runs fine w/o emissions junk.

Still need to know if your engine is TBI or carb'd. If TBI and you put longtube headers on, you will need a 3 or 4 wire O2 sensor to read the gasses properly. Otherwise, the computer for the TBI could make the motor act weird. Although, in your case, I feel you may have some plug wires crossed.

Michael

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale c10
Engine Size
That's probably what it is then is my wires are wired wrong and that's good because I want to do headers and all I have for smog is the egr still and the vapor can should I still leave those or take them out and I have a quadrojet stock

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
a 1984 should have the electronic qjet. Removing the smog pump and air lines shouldnt have any issue but sounds to me like your talking about the choke. When the engine is cold it need a fast idle until it warms up. Then you can blip the throttle and it should turn off the fast idle and should idle normal once its warmed up. Sounds to me like you are either trying to idle without the choke when the engine is cold or your idle speed is not set correctly. Double check the firing order but Im thinking that isnt the issue.

Michael

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale c10
Engine Size
Yes it has the electric quadujet and I noticed my chocke does stick sometimes and I'm hoping to check it tomorrow the firing and double check the gap so your saying that emissions don't do nothing to the motor that's good then I still have stock distribur to

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoundBody