Engine Frame Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My conversion was a 4WD and it was over twenty years ago, so even if I could find them they still wouldn't help you. Sorry. :(

But you can probably still get away with using the diesel components. My friend used the gas components on his diesel and got away with it. You'll just end up with bigger motor mounts for a smaller engine. Win - win.

I find it odd that the squarebody got bigger mounts for the 6.2 diesel. I've got mounts from GMT 400 trucks. Big block, small block, 6.2 and 6.5 diesels all share the same bracket that bolts to the block. Not sure about the rubber isolator, but they almost have to be the same. Also interesting, those brackets are the same as 2nd gen Camaro.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Can you post difference of 2wd mounts, i might have some in my pile of trash when my grandfather cut up a 2wd dually back in the day

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I find it odd that the squarebody got bigger mounts for the 6.2 diesel. I've got mounts from GMT 400 trucks. Big block, small block, 6.2 and 6.5 diesels all share the same bracket that bolts to the block. Not sure about the rubber isolator, but they almost have to be the same. Also interesting, those brackets are the same as 2nd gen Camaro.

Unfortunately, it was a long time ago. Probably early to mid '90s when I did the swap and I distinctly remember doing the research with the dealer's parts guy, and the frame brackets were different. I bought and installed the correct ones and remember that there was a difference. As I said, I think it was the size of the motor mount bolt pattern that attached to them, and/or they sat higher, but there was definitely a difference.

Is it life-threatening, and can you get away without changing them? Prolly not the end of the world. YMMV.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I don't know if this will help or confuse, but here goes.Doing a big block swap in a 66 chevelle, the frame brackets are different between small block and big block and the engine will sit at a slightly different installed height. Most people ignore that cause it bolted down and their friend,uncle,whoever did it that way and they didn't notice a problem.Personally I'd put a straight edge across the front frame rails and measure to the center of the balancer. Check that measurement against someone's small block and someone's big block, that should tell you a bunch.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't know if this will help or confuse, but here goes.Doing a big block swap in a 66 chevelle, the frame brackets are different between small block and big block and the engine will sit at a slightly different installed height. Most people ignore that cause it bolted down and their friend,uncle,whoever did it that way and they didn't notice a problem.Personally I'd put a straight edge across the front frame rails and measure to the center of the balancer. Check that measurement against someone's small block and someone's big block, that should tell you a bunch.

It's the same way with these squarebody trucks. The big block mounts are technically different but either will bolt up. It's something like 3/8" difference in height, but I don't remember which is lower.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128