Electrical wiring for the k5ton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
This must be what you gentlemen are referring to
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Would either of you gentlemen know what these go to? I can't seem to locate them behind the dash on my suburban.
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images attach

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
those are for the ignition switch.

For what you are trying to do, I would suggest a service manual or some detailed wiring diagrams. Enlarge them as much as you can and still have them legible. Things like headlight, taillight, etc have been the same color for about the last 40 years. However, the pinout location in the connectors to change. And when it comes tome to make your splices, do yourself a favor and try to keep the factory wire colors. It will make things much easier

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502

For what you are trying to do, I would suggest a service manual or some detailed wiring diagrams. Enlarge them as much as you can and still have them legible. Things like headlight, taillight, etc have been the same color for about the last 40 years. However, the pinout location in the connectors to change. And when it comes tome to make your splices, do yourself a favor and try to keep the factory wire colors. It will make things much easier
I appreciate it, I have a manual, and wiring diagram for my 90 Subruban, I'm kinda going back and forth between the k5 and the suburban trying to figure it all out, I looked all under the dash, couldn't seem to find those wires anywhere or plugs on the k5 for them, I've just about wrapped up the interior.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502

I appreciate it, I have a manual, and wiring diagram for my 90 Subruban, I'm kinda going back and forth between the k5 and the suburban trying to figure it all out, I looked all under the dash, couldn't seem to find those wires anywhere or plugs on the k5 for them, I've just about wrapped up the interior.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The ignition switch is on top of the column, it’s kinda hard to see when it’s all bolted in place.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
The ignition switch is on top of the column, it’s kinda hard to see when it’s all bolted in place.
Ohhh excellent. I'll look into it tomorrow. That just about wraps it all up for the inside of the truck there's 3 more wire bulkheads I'm unsure of, one of them is the radio wires, I'm not 100% about the other 2

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
GM was polite enough not to change wire color function year to year like other automakers. Orange has been hot at all times, pink is ignition hot, brown has been parklamps, etc since about the early 60s until the last few years the new CANBUS systems in cars today gas unfortunately changed all that. Take a couple pics of your connectors in question, I’m sure someone can help

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
GM was polite enough not to change wire color function year to year like other automakers. Orange has been hot at all times, pink is ignition hot, brown has been parklamps, etc since about the early 60s until the last few years the new CANBUS systems in cars today gas unfortunately changed all that. Take a couple pics of your connectors in question, I’m sure someone can help
I'll snap them tomorrow, once I get those answered, I should be done.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Last 3 wires, if someone can help me with those I think I'm gonna be good on the interior
3rd wire comes out of the steering column.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The one on the left with 4 wires is stereo, the yellow wire is ignition on power, gray is dash lights, brown is parking lamp feed (dims the radio lights with the headlights on) and black is ground. The 2 pin clear connector looks like it would go on the brake switch. Pink/black is key on power, the other wire appears to be purple? Maybe the brake switch for the torque converter clutch? The 3rd connector isn’t a factory connector, are there any non stock add-ons? Maybe a aftermarket radio?

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
The one on the left with 4 wires is stereo, the yellow wire is ignition on power, gray is dash lights, brown is parking lamp feed (dims the radio lights with the headlights on) and black is ground. The 2 pin clear connector looks like it would go on the brake switch. Pink/black is key on power, the other wire appears to be purple? Maybe the brake switch for the torque converter clutch? The 3rd connector isn’t a factory connector, are there any non stock add-ons? Maybe a aftermarket radio?
So the first plug is for the radio?
If so good, that solves that.

My thoughts was the middle connector was for the brake switch, but those pins on the back of it are spaced closer together. I couldn't seem to find anything that went to the back of the brake switch. Just the main plug that, goes on the bottom of it. It's pink and brown.

Third plug I didn't recognize as a GM plug. It looks like a plug that would go into a computer device (hdd, CD drive etc)

It's ran up under the plastic, almost directly in line with the key ignition.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
That middle one may be for Cruise Control Release. That switch is right next to the brake switch.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
That middle one may be for Cruise Control Release. That switch is right next to the brake switch.
Great, then it won't need it either lol, I just want to make sure I get the essentials working right

Neimough

Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I'm showing 2 grays and a gray/black for the cruise control brake release in the 82 schematic I have on hand... I've been digging through my schematics to find a brake switch with a pink/black and purple or brown but I've had no luck. I show a purple circuit -6 going to a clutch start interlock. There's also a purple circuit -92 going to the wiper washer switch. And another purple circuit -16 going to what looks like the hazard flasher. That pic is hard to see the color with the pink/black. I have a lot of schematics from when I rewired my Blazer.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
A little better?
Yellow grey and black on the first connector

Pink/black and purple on the second connector.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell