Electrical problem after crate motor install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marilynliddell

Reaction score
First Name
marilyn
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
1978 f-150
All is good after the crate motor installation in my '85, EXCEPT for two wiring snafus.
1) my fuel gauge (dual tanks) is pegged at 3:00. Somewhere under the hood there's an incorrect or missed connection. It's not even supposed to go further than about 1:00.
2) my heater fan and AC controls don't work.

There were a couple of things that had no need to be disconnected by the first mechanic and those were reconnected to match wiring colors. I have no clues what color coding would be for the two items above. But they must pass through the engine compartment. Anyone familiar with those? I've got a Haynes book but the disavow wiring diagrams because there's "so many". The problems shouldn't be behind the dash or anywhere underneath.

I used two mechanics-the first one pulled the engine before Thanksgiving but his family's home burned down in one of the big California fires and he never came back. I finally hired a well experienced mechanic to install the crate motor (I'm disabled) who did a really good job the truck has never run this well. EXCEPT it would be nice to have the heater , fan, and AC working, and the gas gauge of course.

Any help?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
What part pf ac system is not working? Air flow direction is via a vacuum line and the ac clutch and fans are on a seperate harness from the engine. The power might be coming through the junction block on the firewall amd would be the only place I can think of being disconnected.

Last edited:

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome: