Electric fuel pump location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Well I finally got a chance to take a try at moving the fuel pump from the engine bay to under the truck but ran into something. I have to lines from the gas tank. Most likely one feeds and one is a return. Which is which? I couldn't quite move very good due to me pulling my hamstring days before. They are metal lines. What's the best way to do this without blowing myself up. Thanks

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well I finally got a chance to take a try at moving the fuel pump from the engine bay to under the truck but ran into something. I have to lines from the gas tank. Most likely one feeds and one is a return. Which is which? I couldn't quite move very good due to me pulling my hamstring days before. They are metal lines. What's the best way to do this without blowing myself up. Thanks

Why are you worried about blowing yourself up? Don't you believe in God??? :shrug:

The biggest line is the fuel feed line. If this is a carbed truck, you should have no worries of blowing up. For an added bit of insurance, you might want to pull your gas caps off just to be sure there is no pressure in the tank but there shouldn't be. Even if your vent lines are plugged, and low pressure should have bled off after being shut off for 15 or 20 minutes.

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Why are you worried about blowing yourself up? Don't you believe in God??? :shrug:

I do and that's why I'm worried. Might have some explaining to do.:confused: Thanks HorRid..

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

I do and that's why I'm worried. Might have some explaining to do.:confused: Thanks HorRid..

I hear he's a pretty forgiving dude. Don't worry about it. I promise, it won't hurt much. Just make sure you have a full tank. :nono:

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Ok well a month later and I finally made time for my fuel pump relocation. From the engine bay on the fender well to being mounted in front of the tank with a extra fuel filter in between the pump and tank. I kept the filter before the carb in the engine bay. I went to Napa and found out my pump is a carter pump runs 7psi so I didn't go with a regulator. My mounting brackets are two L shape brackets from lowes, mounted to the fuel pump bracket with a couple screws. I cut into the metal lines and added a couple sections of rubber hose. Which i'm going to protect with plastic loom and zip ties. Turned out pretty good, with some help from my father in-law. The blazer runs some much smoother with NO stumble. Ready to take it to the coast for the 4th of July week. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Fuel Pump Relocation

Here are some pictures. These are the brackets mounted to the fuel pump. Comments appreciated..

Attachments

• IMAG0394.jpg
    IMAG0394.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMAG0396.jpg
    IMAG0396.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMAG0395.jpg
    IMAG0395.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 126

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Fuel Pump Relocation

Here are some of the fuel pump mounted onto the front of the fuel tank and the in-line fuel filter..

Attachments

• IMAG0398.jpg
    IMAG0398.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMAG0400.jpg
    IMAG0400.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMAG0403.jpg
    IMAG0403.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMAG0406.jpg
    IMAG0406.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 107

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Should be a nice set up. So are you using a manual pump too or strictly the electric pump?

Both the manual and the electric pump should both be flow thru pumps. I used to use an electric as a back up pump on a toggle switch. Needed it in the summer for vapor lock situations. Also was nice to have when the manual pump quit working. It did even get me home once when the fuel filter got clogged and the electric added just enough umph to push fuel thru the dirty filter.

When the manual pump died, I did leave it on but of course needed electric pump to run from then on. It turned out to be a nice security feature being the truck would run out of fuel if the hidden fuel pump switch was not on. A thief might have gotten it started and maybe a block away but once the float bowl was out of fuel, that was that and the motor ran out of gas.

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Should be a nice set up. So are you using a manual pump too or strictly the electric pump?

No I'm just using the electric fuel pump. The previous owner put a plate where the manual pump goes and I haven't looked into why. Should I use the manual pump over the electric? I plan on buying a spare pump and carrying it with me just in case. With the setup I have its pretty easy if I need to swap it out.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

No I'm just using the electric fuel pump. The previous owner put a plate where the manual pump goes and I haven't looked into why. Should I use the manual pump over the electric? I plan on buying a spare pump and carrying it with me just in case. With the setup I have its pretty easy if I need to swap it out.

No, you're fine the way it is. I was just curious why the E pump. No telling why the PO blocked off the manual pump. I've seen some guys go E pump cuz they weren't smart enough to figure out how to install a manual pump, like grease the rod so it doesn't fall down so that you can install the manual pump. Then I've also seen E pump installed when the manual pump cam lobe had wore flat so there was no running a manual pump.

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The engine is one of my bigger projects for this. I haven't open that can of worms yet. It runs better now and its camping season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels