Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 - replacing my TBI any thoughts anyone done this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
Hey all - hope all is well with you guys. and I hope you Thanksgiving was good.

My TBI system i has not been taken care of. its VERY...lets just say gummed up. - My truck has been sitting for a very long time.

So, instead of throwing $ at it, to clean or to replace etc etc , Im considering pulling the trigger on this Pro-Flo 4 system.

Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 EFI Systems 35780

I've seen a few write ups, for a few different swaps like this - I can't find any identical to what Im doing - anyone know of any out there specific (or close) to the '87 square body?

My Throttle body has seen much better days. It needs a total replacement/renew - I really like the idea of having easy control. And Im not trying to get nuts, but I want to turn the key, get good fuel mileage (as best anyway) and drive it everyday with ZERO concerns.

And for the record, Im old school. big time. I love carburetors - But...
So, any thoughts or has anyone used this system?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
There’s a few people who’ve done it. I’m in the middle of it right now and I’ve also installed a sniper EFI system. What are you looking to find out?

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
There’s a few people who’ve done it. I’m in the middle of it right now and I’ve also installed a sniper EFI system. What are you looking to find out?

just want to make sure it's worth it. You're in the middle right now? I saw the sniper system - Which is better and why I wonder....

and how does it not need to play with the transmission? is that an idiot question?

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
just want to make sure it's worth it. You're in the middle right now? I saw the sniper system - Which is better and why I wonder....

and how does it not need to play with the transmission? is that an idiot question?
If your trans isn’t computer controlled, it’s going off of throttle position or vacuum. They’d hook up just like a carb. If you have a comp controlled trans, that’s beyond my wheelhouse. You’d need a standalone controller or redo your current ecm.

Without having run the pro-flo, I’d lean towards it being the better system in that price range due to it being mpfi rather than tbi. The sniper would gain the edge if you were a drag racer running at WOT all the time with power adders. The software for the Holley products is definitely superior as far as tunability in specific parameters. It’s support for NOS and other power adders sets it apart.

However, for a mild daily driver and for someone who’d rather not devote the time to learning the ins and outs of EFI software and tuning, the MPFI system should earn an edge over the TBI system.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
:pokeowned:Edited 'cuz I don't know what I'm talking about

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The throttle bodies are so easy to rebuild, and when you do it, mod them slightly for a little bit of performance. You sure you want to go through the swap to carbs and a manifold? Even if your throttle body is "bad" you can probably find good rebuildable ones all day long in your local wrecking yards and/or on ebay. Rebuild the spare one as you have time, and then just spend the 30min or so to install it. Less down time for your truck, and no pressure to get the TB rebuilt, because your truck is down until you do. I believe you'll get better mileage with TBI.

But I'm not tryna rain on your parade.
He’s asking about installing aftermarket MPFI, not a carb.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
However, for a mild daily driver and for someone who’d rather not devote the time to learning the ins and outs of EFI software and tuning, the MPFI system should earn an edge over the TBI system.

That was kind of my thought process right now "mild daily driver" with ZERO worries.

But, for all fairness, I thought about swapping the current TBI with a rebuilt/remanufactured TBI unit (that's sort of the reason for my post, I wanted to make sure I was thinking clearly - I needed support!).

The TBI is sufficient - it is -- but later if I upgrade the cam and heads - would I not have to consider the TBI all over again?

I figured I can do it once and be done. Plus, the PRO-FLO 4 has been proven on so many platforms - it's nuts the ease of tune and how smart it is.

And, besides, my kids said they didn't want anything for Christmas!!!!!!

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The injectors it ships with will support 450hp. If you go above that, you’ll need to get their larger injectors.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Every time you upgrade your engine with the TBI installed you will have to get a new chip burned for the new parameters the engine has.

I would go with the Pro Flow every time over the TBI.

I am thinking I would like to put it on my 454 as well...

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Pull the trigger, it's worth it. Sniper sucks balls, they should be illegal. I threw mine in the trash. Pro-flo is awesome. Avoid the temptation to half ass the fuel system. Use a rail mounted pump or better yet an in tank pump since yours should already be baffled. I speak from experience, just my opinion.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Tbi will be like, 50-100 per chip everytime you change hard parts (heads, cam, size of tbi ports)

The sniper works like tbi and is just as simple if you wanna toss it on and go, but can also become incredibly complicated if you dig deep into it.

No idea about the pro flo.

I know if my small block ever ***** the bed in my suburban, im going 383 with a holley efi.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The PRO-FLO is priced really well for a system that includes an intake and port injection. Edelbrock has been selling EFI systems for a long time, so I assume it works well. I’ve looked at them for a while, but can still get along using my Quadrajet for now.

Bruce

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've got one sitting here in the box thats destined for my new motor.....ATM its a bare frame. A local guy that works at the GM plant has done 8 of these and loves them - going to bribe him to set mine up. I also got the E-Tec heads to go with it as they are CNC port matched.

Hondo78

Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500 crew cab dually
Engine Size
Hey all - hope all is well with you guys. and I hope you Thanksgiving was good.

My TBI system i has not been taken care of. its VERY...lets just say gummed up. - My truck has been sitting for a very long time.

So, instead of throwing $ at it, to clean or to replace etc etc , Im considering pulling the trigger on this Pro-Flo 4 system.

Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 EFI Systems 35780

I've seen a few write ups, for a few different swaps like this - I can't find any identical to what Im doing - anyone know of any out there specific (or close) to the '87 square body?

My Throttle body has seen much better days. It needs a total replacement/renew - I really like the idea of having easy control. And Im not trying to get nuts, but I want to turn the key, get good fuel mileage (as best anyway) and drive it everyday with ZERO concerns.

And for the record, Im old school. big time. I love carburetors - But...
So, any thoughts or has anyone used this system?

So for the $$ would a Used GM low mileage 5.3 LT complete with factory computer be a better investment for the dollar to HP ratio? Then any code reader could diagnose most issues, and you replace all the problem points a early GM EFI system has that will need replaced anyway. Since you are cutting your carbs.. ;#D

Note: I believe in the Edlebrock products, even though they have very little support for my Gen II hemi, but I'm not bitter.. Really..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay Don