ECM Failure x 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I have an ECM problem that has reared its ugly head twice now. I already had to replace the old fried ECM on my Caprice once, and it fixed all the erratic, intermittent symptoms I had. I have now lost reference from my ECM a mere month since replacing it. It runs rough on idle and off idle and will cycle between super rich and super lean. I've checked the two fuses, and they are fine. The only thing I've found wrong is a snapped or chewed green ground strap or wire of some sort that spans from a wiper motor bracket to where it goes into the firewall under the heater hoses. It was chewed once already, and I crimped it together near where it's broken again. Does this wire have something to do with this, do I have a circuit overloading that's killing my ECM, or was this a faulty reman, and I just have to get another one?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 87

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I've only been running on seven cylinders. ******* rat strikes again. I'm assuming that ground strap may have something to do with the computer since everything else appears to work. Guys?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade