Dumb question time....88 Suburban tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Time for another dumb question. The rollers on the rear window regulator are worn off so they don't roll or engage the slots in the bottom of the window frame guide. Looking at LMC, it appears they sell the rollers and rivets separately from the regulator. Unclear if the replacement regulators include them or not, it doesn't appear that they do from the illustration.

Has anyone replaced these rollers before? Just a matter of drilling out the back side of the existing rivets to remove the old roller assemblies? Need anything special to install the new ones? Trying to gauge difficulty since I'm still minus use of my left arm from the surgery. Thanks!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Not a dumb question. The new regulater should come with rollers installed, but I've never bought a new unit from LMC before.

If the rollers are on a ball stud, they can just be popped off and on without changing the stud. But these rollers are kinda swedged on there, aren't they? I can't remember for sure.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Not a dumb question. The new regulater should come with rollers installed, but I've never bought a new unit from LMC before.

If the rollers are on a ball stud, they can just be popped off and on without changing the stud. But these rollers are kinda swedged on there, aren't they? I can't remember for sure.

They appear to be swedged on roller side and some sort of rivet arrangement on the back side. I sent an email to LMC asking for clarification but I haven't had much luck finding anyone who knows what I need to know in the past.

Here's the LMC page with diagrams, for reference.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csb/full.aspx?Page=35

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I'm afraid the rollers are a separate item and do not come with the regulator. Brace the regulator arm in a vise and drill out the old ones.
Once you have fitted the new ones on you can use a hammer and punch (or drill bit) to spread the new rivet.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
On mine they were sliders. And need a special rivet. I thought they come with rivets when ordered, so had to improvise a bit.
You must be registered for see images attach

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'm installing rollers one way or another, time to pull out the regulator and see what I've got.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Mark the alignment of gears at begining of travel on regulator before pulling it, or bolt it together so it does not come a part. A bit of a pain to put back. Alignment marks are halfway through travel. I secured it together on a bench and then installed in to the tailgate

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mack541