Dumb question time....88 Suburban tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I recently bought an 88 Suburban 1/2 ton, haven't had a Suburban since a 72 3 door 15 years ago. First square body in probably 25 years. The 88 came with a broken rear window, it has the tailgate versus the barn doors, which is what I had on the 72, and the tailgate window is electric.

It doesn't appear that the dash switch works so I'm using the key switch on the tailgate (the tailgate won't open so I assume the window isn't down?) I can hear the motor running either way I turn the tailgate switch with the key, which direction is up and which is down? CW or CCW?

I did use the search engine on here and on Google and it seems clear what to do once the tailgate is opened up, I'd just like to get it open versus climbing over the seats because I'm old and scheduled for my second shoulder rebuild in the last 18 months.

It's my right shoulder and this will be my automatic transmission vehicle for getting back and forth to PT (all other cars/trucks are manuals) without crashing, haha. It's a rust free Oklahoma truck with 120k miles (rare here in Ohio) so I'd like to keep water out of that back window.

Thanks all.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
On mine, the lock cylinder is upside down compared to how normal lock cylinders are oriented. Even then, I can‘t remember which way. I will say that if the drive cable is hooked up to the motor, you should be able to shine a light down in there and see which direction it’s moving. If it’s not connected, you will have to open the access panel and hook up a drill to the drive cable to move the regulator.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Burbs don't have a drive cable, the motor is mounted right to the regulator. If the motor runs, but nothing moves, the pinion/gear in the motor housing is likely stripped.

I'd have to walk out and double check, but I think clockwise is down, and counter clockwise is up.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Oh, man. I assumed they were all the same. Whoops.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I'd like to agree with your 'dumb question' assertion but I don't have an answer so I guess I'm even dumber...

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks for the replies. I'll try harder to look down in there and see which way it is moving. Without a window attached, it's pretty hard to tell. I let it run both ways long enough I thought it should have run out of travel and stopped but it kept going, I assume it will stop or at least the motor will change pitch at end of travel?

Maybe like Bucket says, the pinion is stripped on top of the broken window.

I know I have some work to do in there, I was just hoping to get it open to make it easier to work on.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks for the replies. I'll try harder to look down in there and see which way it is moving. Without a window attached, it's pretty hard to tell. I let it run both ways long enough I thought it should have run out of travel and stopped but it kept going, I assume it will stop or at least the motor will change pitch at end of travel?

Maybe like Bucket says, the pinion is stripped on top of the broken window.

I know I have some work to do in there, I was just hoping to get it open to make it easier to work on.

I did not realize the window was missing. It should still go to full travel and stop I would think. But I can't say I've ever ran one up and down without the glass in it.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Burbs don't have a drive cable, the motor is mounted right to the regulator. If the motor runs, but nothing moves, the pinion/gear in the motor housing is likely stripped.

I'd have to walk out and double check, but I think clockwise is down, and counter clockwise is up.

Some DO have the cable setup. Seen a bunch with my own eye in the scrapyard.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Are you able to remove the inside cover of the tailgate?

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I did not realize the window was missing. It should still go to full travel and stop I would think. But I can't say I've ever ran one up and down without the glass in it.

I tried running it both directions until the motor changed pitch and I got sort of a thump, it's hard to see down inside the door to check direction. The inside handle won't open at either "end" of travel. Dang.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Are you able to remove the inside cover of the tailgate?

That's why I'm trying to get the tailgate open, to remove the inside cover. I have shoulder surgery scheduled monday so I'm working with 1.5 arms and I really don't want to climb around inside the truck.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Some DO have the cable setup. Seen a bunch with my own eye in the scrapyard.

Um, no? I don't want to argue, but I'm fairly positive you are thinking of K5 tailgates.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Tailgate will open if out can catch the inner roller with the glass mounting channel. You will have to clime in to take the cover off and pull the opening rods to open. With no glass it should still stop if alignment on gears still correct. I just completely rebuilt mine if you need any specific reference. The only safety switch mine has stops window from going up if tailgate is open.

Edit: do not remove the gear assembly unless you have to, a pain to align back due to spring. Top edge seals that window goes through have to come out if taking the piece that holds the window out

Edited regarding tailgate open interlock

Last edited:

Daveo91Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Silverado Suburban
Engine Size
Vortec 383, modified TBI/4L80e
Tailgate opens regardless of the window position if actual glass is missing. You will have to clime in to take the cover off and pull the opening rods to open. With no glass it should still stop if alignment on gears still correct. I just completely rebuilt mine if you need any specific reference. The only safety switch stops window from going up if tailgate is open.
t

I agree about having to climb in to remove the panel to actuate the rods in this case. But as for TG opening regardless of window position (glass missing or not missing) is this true? I can't argue - even my single safety switch is missing such that I can roll my window "up" even when TG in horizontal position - but I thought there was supposed to be a safety switch that prevented TG from opening unless regulator was all the way down? Would the glass missing make a difference?

And I agree that clockwise on the key is down and CCW is up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54