Dropmember - Need options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GO-N-BRK_84

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
400ci
Hey all!

Looking to order a front dropmember to put in over the winter, get that layout looking correct. Porterbuilt has a really nice setup, but with everything required I was quoted $4,700. Choppinblock has a nice setup as well and looks to be around $2,900 - but still requires purchase of a Mustang II rack...maybe another $300. Are there any options out there that make use of stock steering? Mines nice and tight, really don't have any complaints. Neither of these 2 options have any sort of "upgrade" path. For example maybe I just purchase control arms and later upgrade to dropmember? No the dropmember uses different control arms.

Am I missing something obvious? I really just want some control arms to correct geometry and a cross member with a bit more clearance.

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I think you'd be happier with the rack and pinion as opposed to the stock setup. On mine the geometry is not good even with just a 6" drop. The pitman arm hits the tie rod and there's a bit of bump steer. It's not terrible but it's there. I've been eyeballing the Porterbuilt with the rack to try to correct some of that.

GO-N-BRK_84

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
400ci
Just thought I'd keep this thread I started up-to-date! I pulled the trigger on the PB Fab version 7, level 3 airbag dropmember kit:

- New crossmember
- Upper & lower control arms
- Rack & pinion steering upgrade
- Small block chevy motor mounts
- New shocks to match the kits mounts
- New transmission crossmember
- Kit is very complete, completely bolt-on, comes with all hardware even all new steering linkage joints and shaft.

They are currently 10-12 weeks out for production which is a little rough, but should give me plenty of time to prepare (procrastinate) the truck for the kit.

I'll post pics when all the bits and pieces arrive!

Attachments

• dm7-6372-3-a_1.jpg
    dm7-6372-3-a_1.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 47

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Just thought I'd keep this thread I started up-to-date! I pulled the trigger on the PB Fab version 7, level 3 airbag dropmember kit:

- New crossmember
- Upper & lower control arms
- Rack & pinion steering upgrade
- Small block chevy motor mounts
- New shocks to match the kits mounts
- New transmission crossmember
- Kit is very complete, completely bolt-on, comes with all hardware even all new steering linkage joints and shaft.

They are currently 10-12 weeks out for production which is a little rough, but should give me plenty of time to prepare (procrastinate) the truck for the kit.

I'll post pics when all the bits and pieces arrive!
I'm interested in this. It's pricey but I think it solves a lot of problems that I've discovered trying to mix stock and modified suspension together.

Grabbit

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Suburban 2WD
Engine Size
I know the OP went with the PB fab crossmember and I too am looking at all options to lay out the front as low as possible. With that said, I thought I'd bring up a front end setup I came across that; while it isn't a cross member per say, it is a way to get lower than most of the other control arm and bag combos I've seen on the market that use the OEM crossmember. I found the Chassis Fab front end kit which uses the stock cross member but has you cut off the OEM spring pockets of the OEM cross member and weld on a new upper control arm and bag mounting plate that seems to get almost as low as the crossmember setups like the PB, GSI and others. From what I can tell it moves the upper bag mount up and at an angle that can get the front lower than using bag mounting plates on the stock upper spring pocket. For both upper control arms, lower control arms, shocks and mounting plates (all while retaining stock steering components) it comes to $1600 which is pretty comparable to other control arm and stock location bag mount setups but a lot lower than a full blown cross member setup. Check em out.

https://chassisfabsuspension.com/co...kits/products/63-87-c-10-front-suspension-kit

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell