1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driveshaft Difference for 14b SF and 14b FF

Discussion in 'Differential & Driveline' started by HotRodPC, Apr 12, 2011.

1. hirschdalechevy

hirschdalechevy Full Access Member

First Name:
    rich
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    k-30
    Engine Size:
    Not to argue , but the frames are the same width for 1 ton & 3/4 ton , it's the spring hangers that are different. I have used 1 ton 14 bolt F.F. rears on two of my 1/2 ton trucks with the 40-1/2" spring perches and all I did was drill out the rivets and change the spring hangers from one truck to the other and I was good to go , shock mounts were good to go as well.
    :patriot::patriot::patriot:

2. crazy4offroad

crazy4offroad Service Bullshit Filter Soon

First Name:
    Curt
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    One-Ton K-10
    Engine Size:
    350/TH350/NP205
    You are right, sir. Let this be a lesson to us all...DONT DRINK AND POST! :lol:

3. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    Yep, I've got 1-ton rear springs, hangers, axle, and shock mounts under the rear of my Burb. On a 1-ton, not only are the shocks inboard of the frame rails, but they are also staggered the opposite direction as the 1/2 and 3/4 tons.

4. HotRodPC

HotRodPC Administrator Staff Member

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Silverado K10 to K20 Conversion
    Engine Size:
    6.2 to Gas???
    So is that the deal? If you use 1 ton spring hangers, the 1 ton bolts into a 3/4 or 1/2ton? Cuz I know a guy who also has a 1 ton rear end in a 3/4 ton and it bolted right in. I assumed the different measurements was probably a Dual rear wheel 1 ton used the different perch dimensions. So the perch dimensions really are different, but the difference is in the hangers???

5. bucket

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    1-tons all have the narrower perch spacing, regardless of how many wheels are back there. The difference is made up with the spring hangers, the frame rails are the same distance apart as the 1/2 and 3/4 ton.

Oh, and Crew Cab C20's basically have a 1-ton frame and rear spring hangers. That's the only situation where a 1-ton rear will swap directly into a 3/4 ton truck.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2011
  6. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    6.2 to Gas???
    OK, makes sense. So the guy who has the 1 ton axle in his 3/4 ton, also upgraded his srpings and 1 ton hangers too then.

I was aware of the Crew Cab C20. It my understanding, there is no basically about it, 3/4 ton Crew Cab IS built on a 1 ton chassis. I'll take a guess and say probably the only difference is the spring packs ??? I'd imagine the brakes would be the same. Maybe the 3/4 ton also had smaller tires from the factory too :shrug: Just my understanding there is very very little difference in the C20 and C30 Crew Cabs.

7. bucket

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    I don't know either. I'm guessing just slightly softer springs and maybe smaller rear drums.

8. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    6.2 to Gas???
    Now, this brings me to my CUCV 14B Full Floater. I bought that disk brake converted 4.56 Detroit Locker rear end for my 3/4 ton truck. I know they call them 1.25 ton trucks or D30's, so that means my CUCV rear end isn't going to bolt into my 3/4 ton truck huh??? I'd have to have the perches moved. :yucky:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  9. bucket

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    Well, I'll tell ya what. Since you don't want to install it anymore, I'll come and get it out of your way for you:rofl:

10. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    6.2 to Gas???
    You prolly won't want it when I'm done pulling the disk brake kit off of it, the gears out of it and the Locker out of it to put in my other housing. I'll just transfer the guts to my 3.21 diff and freshen up the bearings, seals and reset the lash to compensate for any wear. I paid a whole $125 for that thing, I sure can't give it up. And that happens to be the dude I bought the 88 Burb off of that I just sold too, so buying that rear end was a very very good deal all said and done.

11. RailRiderHD

RailRiderHD Full Access Member

First Name:
    Adam
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K5 blazer
    Engine Size:
    you the king of good deals... lol

12. HotRodPC

First Name:
    HotRod
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    Engine Size:
    6.2 to Gas???
    Just gotta seek them out, and when you find them, be FAST and stay on it til you have possesion of it. That other 14b with the CUCV rear end, was FREE one off of CL. Ad said, FREE Chevy 8 bolt rear end. Its been sitting on my carport for over a year and my husband hasn't done a thing with it, so it must go now, and be gone before he gets home from work.
    LMAO, I seen the ad pop up, called immediatly and left 2 emails. She called me right back, I got directions, said I'm on my way with an engine hoist be there in 20-30 minutes. I got there and the poor lady was begging me to come into her house and show her how to cancel a CL ad, cuz her dumb ass put her cell # on it ,and her phone was ringing and ringing and ringing. I kid you not it was non stop. She made me cancel the ad first before I loaded it.
    LMAO, and she had deleted that email, that CL told her to keep in case she wanted to edit the ad. She was freaking out. Luckily, she hadn't emptied her trash email and I was able to recover it and cancel the ad. Its a 4.10 ratio and came with the lift blocks and the springs. I think it might be a 1 ton too, not positive.