drive shaft questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sidewayzz

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I am in process of changing from 350/203 and going to run sm465/205. Long wheel base. I am having a hard time finding a drive shaft.Before getting a new one built I will check with you all ,and see what suggestions there was. Thanks in advance, Steve

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
Im not sure the difference lengths of those two, but what I do know is I just had a driveshaft shorted and it cost me 150bucks

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I believe it is the rear end that determines drive shaft length. Not the tranny/transfer case.

My observations over the years is that the transfer case adapters are different lengths to keep the tail shaft in the same location no matter what combo is used. Then depending on what rear differential is used and the length of the pinion is what determines the length of the drive shaft used.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There are just to many variations in length out there, the odds of finding the right one these days is low. Especially since a lot of junk yards move vehicles around with forklifts, the shafts get bent. If you have any local driveshaft shops, it may be far easier just to have your shafts retubed.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ya your right Bucket. The wreckers wreck drive shafts, even if it looked straight I wouldn't bother with one from the wreckers. Good thing is, usually they will give you a bent one for next to nothing and you can use the yokes to make a new one to length.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I see some times you can find a craigs list or kijji add for driveshafts R us.

sidewayzz

Reaction score
First Name
steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
True on junk yards. Trying to find a shop to build me one.thanks for the help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members