Double gas tanks into one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
So 16 gallons just isnt big enough for me, and well my fuel selector is broke for my two tanks, So heres the question. would there be away to plumb the two tanks into one? or atleast turn one into a tidy tank so i can fill up both tanks at once through the one opening. its really late so im not expecting to make any sense right now lol. but i dont really know if i want to be able to choose what tank im drawing gas from, but i dont want to get rid of the 2 tanks.
soooo suggestions?
Cheers

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've heard of it being done with guys using a transfer pump system. How well the works, I don't know. I think I've asked the same question before because I don't like going to stations with short hoses and having to flip around to fill the 2nd tank. I'd like to be able to fill them both from the left side.

You're other option might be to try and retrofit a 31 gallon Blazer tank in the rear where the spare tire would go underneath.

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Could always add a filler neck inside the bed and pipe it to the otherside and dumo it into the right tank and then have a 12v cheapo pump to pump it back over.

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
well hot rod, my spare is in the Bed haha, i probably could seeing as im a welder by trade, but i dont know, id like to just leave it the way it is, but maybe i might just have to fix the switch lol

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I guess the filler necks on different sides never really bothered me because I rarely need to fill both tanks up at the same time. I could see where it would be a pain though if you were pulling a trailer and couldn't get turned around easy to fill the other side.

I guess what I'm saying is if it were me, I would just fix the switch. Lol.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I guess the filler necks on different sides never really bothered me because I rarely need to fill both tanks up at the same time. I could see where it would be a pain though if you were pulling a trailer and couldn't get turned around easy to fill the other side.

I guess what I'm saying is if it were me, I would just fix the switch. Lol.

Or when you pull the off the pump to turn around leaving the nozzle laying on the ground, and some asshat pulls up to your pump and shuts it off and hangs it up before you flipped around. I've about got in a fist fight with a ***** over that once. I ended up winning that battle when the attendent wouldn't turn his pump on until I paid the $4X.00 I had pumped so far. I ended up behind him in line and told her I wasn't paying until I was done pumping, so she told him he'd have to move to another pump. She did turn it back on for me to finish pumping and added the 2 together. :flipthebird:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lol, good point. I grew up in a small town so there's usually only one person at the gas station at a time anyway. I did get some funny looks when I laid the gas nozzle on the ground to turn the truck around. Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

no slack

Reaction score
First Name
Antonio
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
5.7 350 TBI
I like the two tank idea the problem is the jack a I got the truck from cut everything from the driver side and has only the pass side running I would like to put this back together but i have no idea how everything links up in digram pics r step buy step installation

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You might be in luck with some pictorial help here. I was just looking at a build thread today and noticed how nice and clean this build was going and the fuel lines looking so good. And I bet this guy can help you out.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6167&page=3

attachment.php

attachment.php

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
HOLY! is that ever a clean build.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
For what you're going to waste trying to rig something up, you can fix your existing setup to work like it's suppose to.

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
For what you're going to waste trying to rig something up, you can fix your existing setup to work like it's suppose to.

Yeah i guess.. imo i think having to select the tanks to run off of is a PITA, it would be easyer to have both conjoined, but eh just the thoughts of a welder haha.
i managed to find another selector, so hopefully this one actually works.:pp:

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
The switch Abe the valve should run you 70-100, and it'll be fixed. Running off off both tanks at the same time won't do anything but increase the amount of unusable fuel in the tanks.

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
The switch Abe the valve should run you 70-100, and it'll be fixed. Running off off both tanks at the same time won't do anything but increase the amount of unusable fuel in the tanks.

Yeah I have a new switch. No idea if it works. But hopefully it does. Jist need to get my box off first :/ that's a battle in itself. Thanks for the inpit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB