Door Speaker Depth Clearance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
If the hundreds of vehicles I've put systems on over the years, the single cab squarebody might have been the most difficult. There's just no room for anything. Tried the kickpanel "pods" and behind the seat sub boxes and hated the sound quality and giving up leg room. It took a lot of trying to get what I was looking for.
So what did you end up with?

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
@Doppleganger Went and got a better shot. I guess my tape was on the outer skin already on my first measurement. I barely can get my arm in there so got buddy to hold the tape for me while taking the picture.

And there's maybe 4 inches below the motor on the door.

You must be registered for see images attach

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@Doppleganger Went and got a better shot. I guess my tape was on the outer skin already on my first measurement. I barely can get my arm in there so got buddy to hold the tape for me while taking the picture.

And there's maybe 4 inches below the motor on the door.

You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks dude. :hat:

So you think a speaker could go into the door an inch or so before hitting the power window actuator - or anything else for that matter?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I HIGHLY recommend baffles for door speakers. Not only do open air speakers sound terrible and rattle the doors innards, they are guaranteed to die a premature death from water damage. Even new window felts leak water. Not much you can do about 80's technology except protect the speaker best you can.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Thanks dude. :hat:

So you think a speaker could go into the door an inch or so before hitting the power window actuator - or anything else for that matter?
Yeah for sure. I measured my passenger door aswell and there the same.

I HIGHLY recommend baffles for door speakers. Not only do open air speakers sound terrible and rattle the doors innards, they are guaranteed to die a premature death from water damage. Even new window felts leak water. Not much you can do about 80's technology except protect the speaker best you can.

What did you use on your door panel speakers for baffles?I couldn't find anywhen i did mine.

By chance I caught the wife was throwing out one of those egg shaped bed things and I cut it up and spray glued it to the inside of the door panel and it helped alot before it made it to the dumpster.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeah for sure. I measured my passenger door aswell and there the same.

What did you use on your door panel speakers for baffles?I couldn't find anywhen i did mine.

By chance I caught the wife was throwing out one of those egg shaped bed things and I cut it up and spray glued it to the inside of the door panel and it helped alot before it made it to the dumpster.
I think he means these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072WF8R2F/

I've used these alot - the way these doors are designed, would use them with these for sure. Crutchfield used to really push them back in the 80s.

Thanks for the measurements....that will work great.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

I've used these alot - the way these doors are designed, would use them with these for sure. Crutchfield used to really push them back in the 80s.

Exactly! Plus, I beg you to add some adhesive backed sound deadening material to the doors. It doesn't take much but it makes a big difference.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I used leftover sheets and kept all the scrap sound deadening from cab floor and firewall and did doors and just the knuckle rap test was a huge difference.
It's not 100% but much improved

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size

I ordered a set from crutch field in the 90's & they were thin plastic kinda like a solo cup. All they did was buzz and rattle, the foam ones in the link look much nicer

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I ordered a set from crutch field in the 90's & they were thin plastic kinda like a solo cup. All they did was buzz and rattle, the foam ones in the link look much nicer
I never saw the plastic ones - just these soft foam gray ones. They tore real easy - I remember that. Work well though.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I remember the plastic ones. They were junk unless you used a tube of silicone when installing them.

I'm looking for some 3.5 ones all I can find are the 6.5 ones. Something for the front dash speakers. Doors would be nice aswell. If I ever get done fixing rust lol.

@Doppleganger I'm interested in seeing what you got planned for your speakers.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
I never saw the plastic ones - just these soft foam gray ones. They tore real easy - I remember that. Work well though.

I remember the plastic ones. They were junk unless you used a tube of silicone when installing them.

I'm looking for some 3.5 ones all I can find are the 6.5 ones. Something for the front dash speakers. Doors would be nice aswell. If I ever get done fixing rust lol.

@Doppleganger I'm interested in seeing what you got planned for your speakers.
You guys got me looking at baffles now for my kick panel speakers now...

I found these on Amazon that are silicone but open on the back, I would assume the worst moisture damage would come from water running down the door skin and dripping right onto the speaker cone. These would stop that but still allow the speaker to use the airspace.

amazon baffles

Also @Originalthor here are some 3.5" baffles on Crutchfield, there were some other sellers/brands when I googled it too:

3.5" baffle

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
You guys got me looking at baffles now for my kick panel speakers now...

I found these on Amazon that are silicone but open on the back, I would assume the worst moisture damage would come from water running down the door skin and dripping right onto the speaker cone. These would stop that but still allow the speaker to use the airspace.

amazon baffles

Also @Originalthor here are some 3.5" baffles on Crutchfield, there were some other sellers/brands when I googled it too:

3.5" baffle
So funny thing. When I went looking before me and I sound guy were looking for speaker pods. And only ones come up are 6.5. And thats what I searched aswell when I got home. But if you search for speaker baffles you get the 3.5 sizes lol.

Granted he was young, I'm pretty sure I went in looking for speaker cups lol and between the two of us we just came to the conclusion they didn't make them that small. Or possibly they just started making them. This was 3 years ago. Who knows. Thanks I'm going to be ordering 3 sets and some for the rear oddball speakers in the back

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk