door lock cylinder not working on passenger side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
i have replaced the door lock cylinder with 2 different kits and both times the passenger side door will only turn 90 degrees to the left to lock it, but i’m unable to pull the key out in this position so i have to unlock it again in order to remove the key.

any ideas as of how to fix this?

75k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
i have replaced the door lock cylinder with 2 different kits and both times the passenger side door will only turn 90 degrees to the left to lock it, but i’m unable to pull the key out in this position so i have to unlock it again in order to remove the key.

any ideas as of how to fix this?
i should also note that i’m unable to push the lock down from inside the cab when the key isn’t inside the door cylinder, without the cylinder in the door, the lock moves freely up and down

codfish

Drive a hybrid. I NEED your gas!!
Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Have you ever figured this out??

Having the exact same problem.

Codfish

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Assuming these are power locks? I don't have a sure solution, but something funny happens on my K10 sometimes that sounds related.

If I try to unlock the passenger side door, via the lock switch on my driver's door, while someone is trying to open the locked passenger door, the whole lock mechanism in that door gets stuck. The lock knob can't be lifted inside, the key in the door cylinder won't turn, and the power lock switch won't unlock it.

To get things functioning again, someone needs to push HARD on the outside of the door while pulling up on the lock knob inside the cab. I've unlocked it that way probably half a dozen times, and it functions normally afterward, but it's always a struggle.

Maybe pushing the door in and working the lock will fix your dilemma???

codfish

Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah I’m not sure what’s going on with mine.

I had no keys when I bought mine. Bought a set of door lock tumblers. Both looked identical when I got them. Same as the originals. Swapped them out, pass side wouldn’t work, behaving EXACTLY as OP stated above.

Decided to swap them side to side, still only the pass side not working properly. If I unhook the cylinder from the door mechanism, I can lock and unlock it with the knob, but as soon as it’s hooked up, the knob is inoperable. Both cylinders function fine with the key with the mechanism in your hand.

codfish

Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
And mine are NOT power locks. I was wondering if the mechanisms were different with power or manual locks.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Dang, I was gonna comment and say to try the other cylinder in the kit. I found out they're side specific when I replaced mine, but you already did that. The only thing I can really suggest is while the door panel is off, play with it and see if something is bound up. There may be a rod routed wrong in the door or something causing it to stick.

codfish

Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hmm

Never really looked that hard at them but maybe two of the same were in the package???

Something to check I guess. Everything else seems silky smooth movement wise.

codfish

Reaction score
First Name
gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah lack of lube is definitely not the issue. Lots there.

Are the cylinders side specific? Possible both are for the drivers side I guess.

And do power and non power setups have the same cylinders?

Codfish

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg