Door hinge won't come off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gm84HighSierra

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
84 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have an 1984 gmc k1500 and I need to take the door hinges off to sand and paint it but there is a bolt going through the back that I cant get to to it take off. I have to have it off and I need to know how. Do you possibly know how get it off?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 98

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Ooh ooh - pick me, pick me. I know this one;

Get up under the dash look on the outside wall and you will find the access hole for the bolt head (9/16"?) It's way up - about even with the rubber grommet where the wires to the door jamb switch pass through the wall but further back. It's about in line the handle for the fresh air vent when closed (if you have one).

You must be registered for see images attach

It is really deep, you can barely touch it with your finger tip. Use a socket, a 6" extension and a 3/8 drive ratchet (and work from under the dash) to back it out.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I think you have to pull that rubber grommet with the single white wire to access the bolt for the lower hinge ? I think lol

Gm84HighSierra

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
84 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
This is the upper hinge I am trying to remove

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 103

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ya its the rubber grommet with the white wire to get at that one. I couldn't remember which one the grommet accessed but after looking at your pic it is for the upper one.

Pull the grommet out and then you will see the bolt through that hole. Its there

You have to remove the glove box to be able to see the grommet and be able to access the bolt with a socket

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynhigh88