Door adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
The cab is solid but not that solid, it can be flexed. The front fenders do bolt up solid to the cab, but have large holes to allow adjustment. It can be a real chase your tail thing getting all of gaps looking right. I run up all the bolts finger tight and move it around as needed.

I have had a few cabs off the frame with the doors on and have had no problem with opening/closing the doors. If you are flexing a cab so much that you are binding the doors in the cab frame by changing the rear body mounts you have a serious problem. If the door is hitting the front fender I would adjust the fender, not move the door. Then again I would change all the body mounts at one time.

You adjust the doors to the cab then the fenders to the door

I agree doors to cab, fenders to door and then square the hood opening by moving the core support left/right. Adjusting the door to compensate for worn hinge pins and bushings is just a temp fix. Your up/down movement of your door is because the bushings in the hinge are worn and the pin is moving around in the hinge.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have had a few cabs off the frame with the doors on and have had no problem with opening/closing the doors. If you are flexing a cab so much that you are binding the doors in the cab frame by changing the rear body mounts you have a serious problem. If the door is hitting the front fender I would adjust the fender, not move the door. Then again I would change all the body mounts at one time.

I agree doors to cab, fenders to door and then square the hood opening by moving the core support left/right. Adjusting the door to compensate for worn hinge pins and bushings is just a temp fix. Your up/down movement of your door is because the bushings in the hinge are worn and the pin is moving around in the hinge.

But slightly worn bushings will stay just slightly worn if lubed on a regular basis (like they should be anyway). I've milked worn bushings for years on some of my beater rides and only one ever got worse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes