Donkey. Dirt track race car build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
You gotta make friends in that class and get some driving and set up pointers. Or find someone that could scale it. Is there a gear ratio rule? These stock classes can be brutal with a lot of rules. My buddy runs factory stock class and the rear has to be 3.08. But, you need that tach.
I grew up in a stock car family, but it was asphalt.
Believe you me. I have recieved some "pointers" in the last couple weeks! Hell I've been straight up told what I HAVE to do? Though not one from a person that has ever set up a El Camino, they are well intentioned, and I do listen and appreciate their input. I highly doubt that I can scale out this big old heavy A body like their little B and G bodies and it work? My daughter took this car to college, I knocked the glass out of this car, there is not a tube bend, cope, weld, bracket. pedal, bolt loose or tight that I didn't do. I'm in this for the fun and the challenge, haven't a **** to give about my name being on a points list. I'll be doing every thing I can to win every race I'm in, but, I'm not going to buy it. I already feel as I've won. Have a little over 8k making this a race car. That blue car behind it in the picture cost over 75k. I appreciate what you offer, and your right, I appreciate the folks at the track (most of them) and we will be able to run with them when we get it figured out.

And, no gear rules running 620's in a 9in Ford and a Saginaw, yup I built the drive shaft and put the gears in the rear.

410 John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 4bbl 4 speed
Most of the guys are probably running the metric chassis. There’s a dirt guy by me that mentioned about using a Camaro center link. I mentioned it to the factory stock guy I know and he said they sell a center link that corrects the geometry. I don’t know. Just bench racing. Your car is same as a chevelle of the same year. I can’t imagine having had the internet when my Father was racing.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

We still at it. Getting a little faster every race. Had 2 bad weeks early June because the only one dumber than our driver, is our mechanic...sadly they are both me...car would just fall on her face and I spent 2 weeks working on stuff that ain't broke, and had a stopped up air filter! Remedied that and picked up a bad vibration at a little better than 5k. Over the July 4th break we put new u joints, balanced the drive shaft, and swapped the Saganaw (believe we were loosing the front bearing, and the front seal was leaking) for a turbo 350. Car ran great, but the big dumb driver kept hitting the shifter with his knee and getting it in neutral, driver blamed it on the big dumb mechanic which is working on fixing that now.
We are close to fast enough, but not quick enough with our little stock engine, horse traded for a set of headers, hope they will get us faster, faster.

Last edited:

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
What kind of engine rules do you guys have to abide by? Or how big can you go in your class?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

We still at it. Getting a little faster every race. Had 2 bad weeks early June because the only one dumber than our driver, is our mechanic...sadly they are both me...car would just fall on her face and I spent 2 weeks working on stuff that ain't broke, and had a stopped up air filter! Remedied that and picked up a bad vibration at a little better than 5k. Over the July 4th break we put new u joints, balanced the drive shaft, and swapped the Saganaw (believe we were loosing the front bearing, and the front seal was leaking) for a turbo 350. Car ran great, but the big dumb driver kept hitting the shifter with his knee and getting it in neutral, driver blamed it on the big dumb mechanic which is working on fixing that now.
We are close to fast enough, but not quick enough with our little stock engine, horse traded for a set of headers, hope they will get us faster, faster.
This really makes me miss sittin in the stands every saturday night cheering on my uncles!!! Aint been to a dirt race in many years!!!

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
What kind of engine rules do you guys have to abide by? Or how big can you go in your class?
360 ci, in a GM. There are plenty of rules, flat top pistons, 175 psi or less cranking compression, 2.1, 1.6 valves, can't recall the cam. 500 cfm 2 barrel carb,, steel heads and some of the after markets ain't legal. How many of the rules that are abided by is a question, seems if you don't get claimed you don't get checked. In my very limited experience suspension is the key, and supposed to be "stock". And again, they ain't.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Donkey got a boo boo. Just couldn't quite get around someone's mess, almost together and ready to go tomorrow.

Edit to add. That happened in the feature, we got it finished, started 22nd, finished 11th or 13th I don't recall. We ran a fairly constient low to mid 20 second lap time, our best yet.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Donkey got another boo boo. Will edit in text.

Damn rookie kids...at least I'm a 54 year old rookie. 5th ish lap, 17 year old kid, same one that spun me last week, wheel hopped me in turn 2 and apparantly got stuck in my rear wheel?? I could not see nor tell what was going on. We stayed hooked down the back, in turn 3 he just hung a right, spun me then went off 3 and t boned another car that had left the track. Broke, 3 wheel studs, bent the 4th, and knocked the silly spring out? I could hear we was rubbing, and she handled funny, we ran till the tire was plumb flat and got the black flag. Ended up finishing the same place we started. Got her ole stock spring in, not sure how that's gunna work? replaced the studs, sheet metal is beat out and we going tonight. Also come up with a DUI distributor and got it in and timed...ish, should help us over 4500 rpm's, we shall see.

Tough old car, drove her on the trailer, and back off when we got home and into the shop. Was a good night.

Last edited:

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Being how the season is over, and got my phone problem sorted a few pictures of the last several races.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Then there was this guy, he was tore up, we finished.

And a little lite duty body repair.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
The last night of the season.

After 3/4 of the first lap of the last race. First time on the hook, but the tough Ole girl drove on the trailer.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
How we sit today.

All and all a good season, a lot of fun. Rookie didn't win anything, or go fast enough but, also never caused a yellow. We will be faster next year, Ole Donkey will have more engine, little better suspension, little light fire walls and floor and a brand new aluminum body. Looking forward to it.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
How we sit today.

All and all a good season, a lot of fun. Rookie didn't win anything, or go fast enough but, also never caused a yellow. We will be faster next year, Ole Donkey will have more engine, little better suspension, little light fire walls and floor and a brand new aluminum body. Looking forward to it.
Very nice man so much appreciate you taking the time to keep us reading here LOVE IT thanks again!

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Did some looking, 1st and 3rd picture in post 117 ain't from the last night.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat