Dome light wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irocman79

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Did all 1984 chevy custom deluxe trucks come with a dome light from factory. Mine had a newer looking one installed but it looks like they made the hole themselves and it is in a different spot then where ive usually seen them and the wiring was a mess so i ripped it all out and took the whole harness and door jamb switch out of a junker. When i started installing it notice that i did not have a door jamb switch in the passenger jamb has hole but there is a plug in it. So just grounded the white wire that i assume would normally go to passenger side and hooked everything else up like normal. And my dome light stays on all the time. There other thing i noticed when i took old harness out it only had one brown wire going to the drivers door switch while the new harness has a white and a brown going into the drivers door jamb see pics
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Did all 1984 chevy custom deluxe trucks come with a dome light from factory.

No. If you wanted, you could get a Custom Deluxe built almost anyway you liked. Hence the term "Custom".

So just grounded the white wire that i assume would normally go to passenger side and hooked everything else up like normal. And my dome light stays on all the time.

That's because the dome/courtesy lighting circuits (orange 140/40) are always hot on the fuse block side of the lamps. They only are illuminated when the other side is grounded. The orange wiring is the feed and the white is the ground.

If you notice, those door jamb switches only have one lead connected to them. When you open the door - the plunger closes the contacts within the switch. The body of the switch is screwed into the jamb and that allows current to flow from the white leads into the frame. And that is how the circuit is completed.

The white leg can also be grounded by twisting the headlight switch all the way CW. There are contacts in the switch that close and create the path - the body of the headlight switch is grounded to the dash.

There other thing i noticed when i took old harness out it only had one brown wire going to the drivers door switch while the new harness has a white and a brown going into the drivers door jamb see pics

That tan wire is the ground leg for the "Key Is In The Ignition" chime and it only goes to the drivers door. As for the missing white lead to the drivers side - without a dome light there was no need to run it over there.

Same for the RH side - no dome light, so no switch required.

notice that i did not have a door jamb switch in the passenger jamb has hole but there is a plug in it.

I don't know how the PO was operating that dome light but if you wanted to utilize the rheostat in the H/L switch - like most trucks are set up - connect the white lead from the dome to this pin on the switch:

The hot lead can be plugged into either of the sockets labeled C at the bottom middle of the fuse block.

Last edited:

irocman79

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Thanks sir everything works like it should now your help is greatly appreciated thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Nes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1987, 1979, 1973
Truck Model
R10, Sierra, C20
Engine Size
5.7 350tbi , 5.7 350, 5.7 350