Does my engine have a chance of living?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
If your going to weld on the oil pump it's a good idea to remove the bypass spring first. Heat can ruin the spring.

Hatchet54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
How do you know it's pennzoil? Because you're both right. I use pennzoil platinum full synthetic in all my engines, except this one. But I was planning on filling it back up with Pennzoil as it's always been changed with pennzoil. Should I not use pennzoil anymore?

What should I use instead and why?

Also, I was looking on rockauto and saw a melling high volume/high pressure oil pump for $33. Is there a benefit to installing one of these? Are there any drawbacks? Would the high pressure cause problems in my older engine?

Check out this thread. I am now using exclusively Mobil 1 full synthetic in my truck as well as my bikes.

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/lets-talk-oil.24512/

Pages of good discussion there

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Have not read all the posts. Crossover suggestion seems right on. My guess is the flappy valve on the passenger exhaust might be stuck closed forcing hot exhaust in the crossover all of the time. The extreme heat just causes the oil to overheat.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
It was running when you took it apart? Then it will run when you put it back together.

Don't overthink it and turn an intake job into a parts truck.

You know... I kinda needed to hear this. I was freaked out about finding all that crap in the top of the motor. The truck is back together now and running better than it ever has in its life. I changed the oil and used 1 quart of marvel mystery oil. I will change the oil again in about a month with regular oil, I might throw some Lucas oil stabilizer in there just because.

I still haven't don't the oil pan or pump, but I will eventually. I've got 1 oil leak after putting it back together. It's the 1/8" npt adapter I installed into the back of the engine for my oil pressure gauge. I tightened it and I'm not sure if it's still leaking or not. If it is I'll remove it, install some more thread sealing tape, and put it back in.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Have not read all the posts. Crossover suggestion seems right on. My guess is the flappy valve on the passenger exhaust might be stuck closed forcing hot exhaust in the crossover all of the time. The extreme heat just causes the oil to overheat.

How can I tell if it's stuck open or closed? The efe system is unhooked and probably has been for many years. Eventually I'm pulling the exhaust manifolds completely and installing headers when I put a new exhaust I'm.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0

Rick Dobbins

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
Eric, 30 year GM Tech here. That carbon buildup was caused by the intake gasket burning thru and burning splash oil. The rest of your lifter valley looks very good. Vacuum it all out, re-install the intake and RUN IT! It will be fine.

Ewhitaker0020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 5.0
Eric, 30 year GM Tech here. That carbon buildup was caused by the intake gasket burning thru and burning splash oil. The rest of your lifter valley looks very good. Vacuum it all out, re-install the intake and RUN IT! It will be fine.

I've been running the truck since I got it back up and running Thursday night. I drove it the 1 hour and 45 minutes to work on Friday just to give it a real test. Besides a small antifreeze leak from the thermostat housing gasket and a decent oil leak from the oil gauge fitting I installed it went really well.

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Hear hear, you already cleaned it up put back together and run it.

A sbc will run on maple syrup. I'd switch over to tree blood but I burn too much and it would not be cost effective.

Hatchet54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Wow, that thread was all over the place. But, the general consensus seemed to be mobile 1 full synthetic 15w-50. Does that sound right to you?

I would say so. I've started using Mobil 10-30 since I started that thread (I live in cold country) and my truck has been happy with it. I also am using a bottle of Hyperlube with every change. I have no way of proving if that stuff is legit or not but I like the idea of it and it's affordable.

Hatchet54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
Wow, that thread was all over the place. But, the general consensus seemed to be mobile 1 full synthetic 15w-50. Does that sound right to you?

I would say so. I've started using Mobil 10-30 since I started that thread (I live in cold country) and my truck has been happy with it. I also am using a bottle of Hyperlube with every change. I have no way of proving if that stuff is legit or not but I like the idea of it and it's affordable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8