does anybody know what this is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
OK, scoooze me then. I didn't know 454 came in half tons in 73. So I'd imagine Th400 did come with 73 454's. I don't know of any BBC that got a Th350.

But No, a Th400 is not harned without the kickdown switched hooked up like the 700r4. The reason the 700r4 will burn up if the cable is not hooked up and properly adjusted is, the throttle pressure, or use of the throttle also deals with pressure regulation. Th350 and Th400 are not regulated by their detent mechanisms so they are fine without being hooked up other than a PITA to downshift yourself. And a Th350 does also help decide shift points with the detent cable, so it will shift early not hooked up, but it will not harm the trans.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I've heard otherwise, but your word here is Gospel so there you have it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've heard otherwise, but your word here is Gospel so there you have it.

The only thing I will add and it WILL NOT kill it in short order at all, may cause the fluid to get a little warm for the few seconds and take a few miles off the end of life is, the added strain on a clutch pack. Kinda like extended wear on a clutch if your say climbing a hill in 4th gear going slow, really bogging the motor down and putting extra strain on the clutch. Same principle here.

On my Th350 in the K1500, for the cable I had in stock, and the wrong bracket on the 350, I've never hooked up the detent cable. Been what? 2 years or so? And I put it together with used clutches. So it shifts a little early and when I want to downshift, I do it manually. However, if I take off fast enough, the shift points are just fine cuz the Vac Modulator is taking care of the shift points. I take off about half throttle or above, no problems on the shift points. I take off like I'm trying to save fuel, then yes, it's in 3rd gear before I even get across the intersection.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Gospel LOL :popcorn: