Do you recognize this sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhm89

Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
Hey all, Please watch this short video, and let me know what it sounds like to you. From what I've gathered it's a clogged lifter.

...::: http://youtu.be/cQ30dc_-qHo :::...

This is a SBC from a 94 pickup, I paid $300 for it. The previous owner said "I think it was rebuilt 30k miles ago" I haven't been able to verify that. I run 10w-30 Valvoline in it, Which I was taught to trust, but I saw some posts on the net, about Valvoline causing clogging problems, shrug.

The motor is all OEM and whatnot, only mod is a TBI spacer.

I took the valve cover off this morning, but everything looks fine. No bent pushrods or anything like that. I unhooked the coil to the distributor, arced the starter with a screwdriver, and let it crank for about 20s. Didn't see any oil come out the rods.

I'm not really in a financial spot to do a cam kit, and if the motor really had been rebuilt, I don't see the need.

Well thank you guys for your time! Hopefully somebody who has dealt with this before can shed some light for me.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I've never heard a clogged filter make any kind of a noise like that. Did you take the air cleaner off? If you did does it still make that noise? That sounds like a bearing has spun. I couldn't really tell from your little video.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Do you have good oil pressure?

Why is it idling so high?

I couldn't hear any tapping so do this: take the alternator belt off and see if it still does it, to me it almost sounds like a seized pulley.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I've never heard a clogged filter make any kind of a noise like that. Did you take the air cleaner off? If you did does it still make that noise? That sounds like a bearing has spun. I couldn't really tell from your little video.

I read it at first as clogged filter, but he says clogged lifter

No clue as to the noise, just wanted to point that out so people who understand better wont make that mistake

Jhm89

Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
The idle is high because the tb gaskets need changed. The noise is never constant, it just comes and goes at low rpms. Ill try the alternator in the morning.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I wonder now that you say the TB gaskets need changed if it's a vacuum leak that is creating the noise. But try the alternator.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If it's a clogged lifter or injured lifter, try running a 1/2 can of Seafoam in the crankcase for a few hundred miles. That'll clean the crankcase and maybe a few other things. Might even clean some things you don't want cleaned though if it's a poorly maintained motor.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I wonder now that you say the TB gaskets need changed if it's a vacuum leak that is creating the noise. But try the alternator.

I would disagree here. A vacuum leak would make a higher pitched whistling sound. The noise from the vid is def. a metallic sound.

I also disagree about the alt pulley. If it were seized, it wouldn't be spinning or spinning slowly causing the belt to squeal loudly.

The noise does seem to emanate more from the right side when PO stopped on passenger side. Maybe water pump or fan clutch are bad?

When I watched the vid for the 1st time, I thought the PO had piped in drums after he cranked the engine over, LOL.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I vote for alternator bearings. take the belt off and see if it goes away. on another note fix that high idle. highdesertranger

Jhm89

Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
Yeah I feel silly. Alternator bearings. Thank you guys. I jumped to conclusions like a noob. Lol

I sprayed around the gaskets on the tb and intake, to my surprise it dosent seem to have a typical vacuum leak. I finally got a tiny flat head so i could adjust the transmission control modulator. I just did a full turn and it brought the power up a bit, and it dosent seem to idle as high. Not sure if I should try more turns or just leave it be. But again thank you guys for the input.

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
What are worn alternator bearings for $400 Bob

Sent from the dust in front of you!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well its good that its just the alternator. cheap and easy fix.

In the future though if you suspect a clogged lifter just remove your valve cover, run the engine and make sure you have oil coming out of all the oil passages. simple. That way if it is a clogged lifter you will know which one is the culprit. And if not you will know for sure.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well its good that its just the alternator. cheap and easy fix.

In the future though if you suspect a clogged lifter just remove your valve cover, run the engine and make sure you have oil coming out of all the oil passages. simple. That way if it is a clogged lifter you will know which one is the culprit. And if not you will know for sure.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
A good time to bring this up, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US can afford this tool. I see it on sale all the time for $2. You could have found an alternator bearing problem in 5 seconds with this. You can also narrow down lifters without removing valve covers. It'll get you to at least which cylinder # it is and confirm that the valve cover does need to come off. It can also tell the difference of lower end noise or upper end noise. Just get one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-69913.html

You must be registered for see images attach

Jhm89

Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
That's a good point HotRodPC. Going to pick one up this week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris