Do I replace the '87 fuel tank that's on my 73 C10 (that has an 81 engine / drivetrain)?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
All,

As the title says, I have an 87 fuel tank, which a forum member pointed out, has baffles and is designed for fuel injection engines and in tank pumps. A standard sending unit for carb engines and mechanical fuel pumps has a float to read the fuel level, this would get down to 1/2 full then hit the baffles. So, my fuel gauge has never worked right.

I have looked around, but as far as I know, there is no sending unit made that would work for me. So my question:

-- Should I just replace the 87 tank completely, so I can have a sending unit and gauge that works finally?

-- If so, should I get a 16 or 20g tank?

Included is a pic of my fuel door location. The sending unit is at the cab/bed line, and the fuel door is currently in line with the aft end of the 16g 87 tank. It seems like a 20g would require gymnastics with the filler neck, so I am inclined to go with a 16g and get a 5g jerry can to carry in the back.

Thanks for any input,

BRetty
You must be registered for see images attach

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
Just throwing another option, if you have any fuel pump issues at all, you could run the 87+ sender with a TBI pump and a standalone bypass regulator to knock the pressure down to the right level. Not the cheapest, but if you have fuel pump issues otherwise, now would be the time to kill 2 birds, so to speak.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
That's an interesting suggestion. I don't know much about TBI systems, if you have a link to an example product, I'm interested in learning more.

As I understand it, the TBI has the fuel pump down in the tank ... so I'm not sure what electronics are needed to run the fuel pump, both signal and pump power.

Thanks,
BRetty

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Why does your bedside have a late model square door fuel fill? I was under the assumption that 1973-1979 (1980?) had the round cap visible.

BRetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Franklin
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
@oldretiredafguy -- God only knows what the PO cobbled onto this truck. He did a great job with the interior and body, ok paint job, but the first time I really looked under the hood I started chuckling: here was a man who ran out of time

Thank God he kept the '73 VIN tag riveted right to the door pillar.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Personally I would leave the tank that you have in it. I'd use an 87 sender if you don't want to use an intank pump just make a pickup tube to take the place of the pump. Now in the future if you decide to run fuel injection,or end up with a block with no fuel pump hole in the future,a wiped out fuel pump lobe,whatever. You will be set up already for IMHO the best situation for an electric pump.

Hunter79764

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V20
Engine Size
That's an interesting suggestion. I don't know much about TBI systems, if you have a link to an example product, I'm interested in learning more.

As I understand it, the TBI has the fuel pump down in the tank ... so I'm not sure what electronics are needed to run the fuel pump, both signal and pump power.

Thanks,
BRetty
You would just get an 87 sending unit with the pump. Power from the factory comes from ECU, through some safety switches, etc but could be done "Close enough" with a relay on the ignition circuit so you have power to the pump any time key is on. Install a regulator somewhere reasonable and plumb the return line back to the sending unit. That will keep fuel cooler etc., but is obviously a little more work than just getting the sending unit and putting a straight piece of hose to "replace" the pump and pick up from the bottom like it's supposed to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe