Distributor, Plugs, Wires???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

square_jimmy_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Colby
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Need help figuring out what i need to run for a distributor, plugs, and wires. im horrible with the search feature on forums.

Ive got a 1983 GMC Jimmy Sierra Classic w/ 350/th350. all factory engine at most will have voetec heads, cam, lifters, carb at later date. what would yall recommend that i run. truck will be used as a daily driver/ play toy.

as of right now its got the factory 83 distributor, autolite plugs, and i think oem delco wires. thanks for any and all help.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Let's see;

An "all factory engine" with:

the factory 83 distributor, autolite plugs, and i think oem delco wires.

Sounds fine just the way it is - let it run and save your money.

Don't get sucked in by all that aftermarket poser crap.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Let's see;

An "all factory engine" with:

the factory 83 distributor, autolite plugs, and i think oem delco wires.

Sounds fine just the way it is - let it run and save your money.

Don't get sucked in by all that aftermarket poser crap.

I agree. Other than the plugs. I would run delco plugs instead of autolites in a gm engine. For some reason over the years it seemed that the Fords liked autolites, the chrystlers liked Champions and the GMs liked Delco. It seemed they would eat them up. It was a problem with my 71 dodge for sure. Only liked champion plugs. But I would run those plugs untill tune up time anyway.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Ac delco plugs, msd wires, msd distributor. Ditch the crap oem distributor completely.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
msd distributor, taylor plug wires, and delco or autolites for plugs

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here's what I just ordered for my 350:

AC Delco 93440806
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-93440806

Bought it at Amazon.com for $140-something. It even has GM's melonized gear for use with roller cams with steel gears.

IMO, this one is also a good choice:

Proform 141-682
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-141-682/overview/year/1982/make/chevrolet/model/c10

As for spark plugs, what's important to me is heat range, electrode material, and physical size. I have had good success in Chevy small blocks with Champion, AC Delco, Autolite, NGK, and Bosch. I especially like the small (ISO-size) Bosch and NGK Platinum plugs for header tube clearance. For my current engine with Vortec heads, I'm using Autolite 605. Can't imagine I'll have any issues with them, assuming I selected the correct heat range.

I've always used MSD Helicore or Taylor SpiroPro wires, but this time I went with MSD Street Fire wires to save $20 or so. Never used an MSD product I didn't like, and that includes their Street Fire HEI distributor, BTW.

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I'm running moroso blue wires and a.c. delco plugs with a cheap dizzy

Sent from the dust in front of you!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Stock distributor is absolutely fine for most people. If you want to do anything to it then upgrade to a better coil or ignition module.

No point in blowing money on MSD stuff except their plug wires which are heavy duty.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Stock distributor is absolutely fine for most people. If you want to do anything to it then upgrade to a better coil or ignition module.

No point in blowing money on MSD stuff except their plug wires which are heavy duty.

Exactly all you really need is a high energy coil and 8mm low resistance wires. What brand is up to you. If the stock distributor is in good shape?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I just get Delco plugs and premium components from the parts store because by default they want to sell you the cheapest they have, so you have to request the premium cap, rotor, etc. It only costs a few extra dollars but you get a lot more bang for your buck. You can tell the premium stuff because they have brass inserts, not aluminum, and the color of the plastic is different too and you feel it is made better.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I would just run stock replacement stuff. I have never noticed any difference in performance in expensive plugs and wires on a stock motor. Good plugs and wires might last a little longer though. What I have noticed that's worth it is a K&N air filter though or a knock off like it.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I use washable filters as well. Worth the $$ Imo...since the paper ones dirty up so fast here in the "dust belt state". X2 with using the heli power msd wires, especially with a higher than stock output coil. Oem will work fine as long as your coupling it with a stock distributor and coil. Higher power coils, distributors and wires all work better when used as a complete unit from my experience. Better fuel economy in most cases will be noticed, but that depends on driving habits. The power gains in my case where seen on the dyno.

Last edited:

square_jimmy_83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Colby
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Thanks for all the replys. I ordered delco plugs, ICM, cap, and rotor button from work today. 68 bucks everything should be in tomorrow. Still have to order plugs. Can't decide between Moroso and MSD.

That Green Jimmy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels