Dim Driver Side Tail Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
I have a 73 GMC Stepside. The driver side tail lights are extremely dim. It's pointless to use my left rear blinker because all it does is make the whole lamp pulsate. Passenger side works fine. HOWEVER, I did notice that even on the passenger side, the reverse light remains on but very dim when the running lights are on. Same with D/S. I'm freakin' confused. I checked the wiring harness as best I could but found no visible signs of chafing, cracking, etc. I even tried changing wires around just in case someone previously hooked it up wrong. No dice. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. HELP. Thanks. :whymewhyme:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Check your grounds, will cause exactly what you are describing. They are bolted to the frame near the back. Unbolt them and scrape them off, get a clean connection.

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
Check your grounds, will cause exactly what you are describing. They are bolted to the frame near the back. Unbolt them and scrape them off, get a clean connection.

I believe I found the problem. There was one black wire disguising itself as an orange wire, dangling under the motor near the frame. The black wire was connected to the orange wire by some sort of weird sealed round white plastic fuse holder looking thingamajig. I grounded it to bare metal on the frame and voila the lights seem to be working just fine now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I even re-grounded all the other points as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spartantx117