Differential setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
Perfect.Good job

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Perfect.Good job
^^^^ This

Good pattern. Should just have to take it back apart one last time to set pinion preload

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
Hey fellers...need some insight and opinion here...take a look at these pics and you fellas tell me where you think I'm sitting. Backlash is already at around 5 thousandths...just trying to get contact pattern in the green.
You must be registered for see images attach
BACKLASH is what is left when all the other settings are correct.

Backlash never is something that is a goal although it HAS to be within logical reason!

If the tooth pattern is correct, then changing the depth of the pinion or the side-shift of the carrier to get a nice tight backlash is counterproductive and also counterintuitive.

In your pixs, I'd like to see a little less depth in the power-on side on the ring gear --- but what you have is do-able if you don't put a lot of horses into that gearset.

Plus (EDITED) the actual power-on contact patch should be less-formed with very little - if any - well defined edges.

I like this pattern for the vague bubble-looking pattern as this doesn't put a lot of pressure on any define-able zones on the hardened/nitrated surface of the gear teeth.

If there is a definite "line" that you can see --- that's a high-pressure point that will cause the case-hardened surface to flex more than it is really designed to flex and premature flaking can occur as small pieces of that case hardened surface falls off the gear faces.

Think of the hardened surface as a microscopically thin coating and the untreated internal steel under that hardened surface as a candy-coated M&M.

Last edited:

BKING33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1987, 1989
Truck Model
K30, Suburban
Engine Size
6.2, 6.2 turbo
I apply the parking brake or adjust the brake shoes out to apply some resistance to load the gear set when checking patterns.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk