Diff imploaded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Here are some pics on how to identify a GM differential without measuring the ring gear:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

If you decide to keep the 10 bolt (I'm assuming it would be the more common 8.5) then you have lots and lots of options for a diff.

You could go locker, but I have heard of many problems with them
You could go open
You could go posi.

If you go posi there are lots of brand new options, ranging from $500 up. I recommend finding a used Eaton friction-type posi. The auburns, many of which were found in 2nd gen f-bodies tend to be grenades and do not hold torque well, they are also not rebuildable. The eaton posi is much tougher, and is completely rebuildable, although the parts can be hard to find.

Additionally, if you have a 10 bolt it can be built to handle over 500 ft-lbs of torque by welding the axles tubes to the center section (use nickel rod, you are welding steel to cast iron), installing 30-spline axles and carrier, installing c-clip eliminators, and using a housing girdle. In my Camaro I welded the tubes and have a girdle, and eventually I plan to go to 30-spline axles, eliminators are supposedly a bad idea on the street so I will not be using them. Here are some pics of my setup:

Eaton Posi I got on eBay for around $200:

Built rearend:

I hope that helps!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It pisses me off I scrapped that 30 spline 10 bolt with 3.42 gears that was in that Suburban. Didn't have much of a choice.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
It pisses me off I scrapped that 30 spline 10 bolt with 3.42 gears that was in that Suburban. Didn't have much of a choice.

Damn, 30 spline AND a 3 series carrier? That thing would have been a tough and probably decent $$ rear!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Damn, 30 spline AND a 3 series carrier? That thing would have been a tough and probably decent $$ rear!

Yep, city was on my ass. 5 lug axles, 3.42 gears Open carrier out of a 91 Burb. SCRRRRRAAPPED it.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Not to thread jack here but what is the point of a girdle? I have never built a rear end or tore into one yet

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If it's the girdle being referred to here, it appears the rear end cover has 2 bolts that can be torqed down to whatever required spec by the manufacturer of the girdle and those bolts will push on the center of the bearing caps giving the caps more strength. Kinda like a 4 bolt main on a crankshaft. This would make those bearing caps, 3 bolt caps instead of 2. Then to strengthen a housing, you can have it Trussed which is common with rock crawlers.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Ahh I see thanks hotrod

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk