Did Chevy Make 3/4 Ton Short Beds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepperado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado stepside
Engine Size
Just asking, not sure I've seen one.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nope. Now guys have taken half tons and put 3/4 ton axles under them, but no OEM shortbeds in Squarebody days.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Shortening a 3/4 down to a short bed is a fairly popular mod

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
I agree, no original shortbox 3/4 tons. But if you get the urge to make your rearend a 3/4 ton be aware they are not a direct bolt in. It is far from complicated however if you have good welding skills or a friendly local welder. Spring perches need to be cut off and moved and at least one shock mount has to be cut and moved. Then there is the problem with the difference in yoke sizes between the driveshaft and the rear end. The workable and least expensive way is to buy a jump joint (two different sized trunnions on the cross).

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I agree, no original shortbox 3/4 tons. But if you get the urge to make your rearend a 3/4 ton be aware they are not a direct bolt in. It is far from complicated however if you have good welding skills or a friendly local welder. Spring perches need to be cut off and moved and at least one shock mount has to be cut and moved. Then there is the problem with the difference in yoke sizes between the driveshaft and the rear end. The workable and least expensive way is to buy a jump joint (two different sized trunnions on the cross).

Is this a shortbed 1/2 ton thing? To the best I can recall, a 3/4 ton rear axle is a direct bolt in to a half ton. Now a 1 ton axle is NOT a direct bolt in to a 1/2 and 3/4 ton. The spring perches need moved and the shock mounts go in the opposite direction.

Greybeard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
75 something (maybe ???)
Truck Model
k10 and a 1/3
Engine Size
Is this a shortbed 1/2 ton thing? To the best I can recall, a 3/4 ton rear axle is a direct bolt in to a half ton. Now a 1 ton axle is NOT a direct bolt in to a 1/2 and 3/4 ton. The spring perches need moved and the shock mounts go in the opposite direction.

It must be. I am wrong. I stand corrected, the spring perches are correct. :whymewhyme:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It must be. I am wrong. I stand corrected, the spring perches are correct. :whymewhyme:

That's what we do around here. Keep everyone honest and correct. The ones that can't be taught or accept that they can be corrected, are usually the ones that disappear. We like how those problems tend to correct themselves. :waytogo:

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
That's what we do around here. Keep everyone honest and correct. The ones that can't be taught or accept that they can be corrected, are usually the ones that disappear. We like how those problems tend to correct themselves. :waytogo:

Did a 1/2 -> 3/4 conversion for a '83 K10 SWB. The 8 lug SF axles from a 3/4 ton '86 Burb were a drop fit to the perches/shocks of the '83 K10. The rear axle that came out of K10 was a 10 bolt 8 1/2", the 3/4 ton axle was a 14 bolt 9 1/2" SF. Front/Rear drive shafts used the same u-joint. The only small issue is the 9 1/2" ring gear moved the pinion forward ~ 1 inch, which resulted in the need to shorten the rear drive shaft a bit to keep it from jamming the transfer case when loading the rear springs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76