Diagnostic port problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Hey everyone,
Truck is a 87 V10 TBI 350
Diagnostic port as no power. Anybody have this problem? Possible causes?
As far as I know it never had power. Truck was throwing a code and went to have it tested and the truck wasn't even detected.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Where did you take it to have it scanned? They just didn't know what they were doing. When hooking up a scanner to an old OBD1 port, there's a power wire that plugs into the adapter, then the power wire either clips to the battery or plugs into the cig lighter. They just forgot to hook up the power wire since OBD2 (probably all they ever hook to) plugs don't need the extra hookup.

You can check codes yourself though, with a paperclip. Just jump the A and B terminals and turn on your ignition. The SES light will flash and you just count the flashes. It will always start off one flash and two flashes then it will pause and do that two more times, that is code 12. It will then follow with whatever codes are stored and displays each code 3 times before moving to the next. It finishes with code 12 again.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
I took it to O'Reillys. I was told obd1 doesn't store its codes. Main reason I am asking is because I'm trying to get power to it so I can plug it in to a computer and be able to see what my engine is doing at all times.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Alright thanks. The cable doesn't have the power adapter like bucket said. Is it necessary?

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Don't think so. The only thing that needs power is whatever is collecting the data. I just use the paper clip method to retrieve the codes.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yup, use the paperclip. ALDL cables are good for deeper diagnosics, where you can sorta use the ECM as an engine analyzer.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Alright thanks. The cable doesn't have the power adapter like bucket said. Is it necessary?

There is not power at the connector. If the equipment does not work because it says "no power detected", then it is not properly hooked up and needs 12 volts plugged into it. The worker at Oriely's has probably never hooked up to OBD 1 before, just OBD 2 that is supposed to have power at the connector.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Oh alright thanks. Is it normal to throw a code light comes on and then goes off after a while? Every vehicle I have that threw codes it stayed on.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah it happens. Were you the one that said your truck doesn't have an O2 sensor?

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
No. I'm not sure if it does or not. The previous owner cut the exhaust off at the cat. When I get underneath I never really looked but I can take a peek at it tomorrow

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk