Deleting the Catalytic Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mango

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok is stays on not plugged or rotten with rust yet

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
One less thing to go wrong with the truck, a collapsed cat will halt you in your tracks. You'll also save a few pounds, old school pellet cats are heavy. They're also quite restrictive. Chop that thing off before it robs any more of your MPGs! You'll have a freer flowing exhaust that not only flows better, but it'll have that sweet old car smell to it. Don't worry about the inevitable "Aarrgh OMG it DeStRoYs LuNg TiSsUe!!!" comments you'll see, idk about you but I always was taught that running a car in a closed garage was bad for you, and I also don't routinely sit next to the tailpipe while someone revs it up. Usually I'm driving, so the fumes just blow away behind the truck.

Pros: like 5-6 in that column easy, Cons: maybe a 1/2 in that one. Just chop it off, nothing bad will happen Your truck will be more hassle free and you may even get better performance or at the very least a better sounding exhaust, and it's 100% free to do... No brainer in my book...

Last edited:

Steppin Razor

Reaction score
First Name
S
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 silverado
Engine Size
Agreed. I'm sure you can find someone who is not running one and you can smell for yourself. Mine is a 77 longbed that the PO welded straight pipes (actual pipe, not tubing) onto, so no cat. My opinion is that it doesn't smell great, especially now with the corn mixed in our fuel, but it's not unbearable or terrible. I intend to make my own exhaust with cat once I get the listed pared down because I don't see any value in not having and plenty of value in having cats.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Agreed. I'm sure you can find someone who is not running one and you can smell for yourself. Mine is a 77 longbed that the PO welded straight pipes (actual pipe, not tubing) onto, so no cat. My opinion is that it doesn't smell great, especially now with the corn mixed in our fuel, but it's not unbearable or terrible. I intend to make my own exhaust with cat once I get the listed pared down because I don't see any value in not having and plenty of value in having cats.
There is nothing inherently wrong with having a modern cat, if my truck had a new high flow cat on it I wouldn't cut it off for the sake of doing so. But the old pellet cats from '89 are junk, heavy and restrictive. Yes, new style ones aren't bad, but they're not free either. Taking a sawzall to your old cat IS free.. just saying. So there is value in itself, getting the old junk off without paying for expensive new ones. If someone gave me modern high flow cats for free I would not throw them out, but I sure as hell wouldn't spend a dollar of my hard earned money on them, especially since there is no performance gain to having them. They're not restrictive like the old ones, but it doesn't do anything to benefit you either, so might as well save the money and just do the ole chop chop...

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
You can take them in for recycling and make some money from them. Around these parts, you need to bring the title by in your name to "prove" legal ownership. The older style and OEM varieties pay best.

Lol, just ask any tweakers. They're already on to it. I'm surprised no one else has brought this up.

Gotta be dumb, might as well get some beer money out of it....

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
You can take them in for recycling and make some money from them. Around these parts, you need to bring the title by in your name to "prove" legal ownership. The older style and OEM varieties pay best.

Lol, just ask any tweakers. They're already on to it. I'm surprised no one else has brought this up
well, the old pellet style ones aren't worth much. If you noticed, they generally steal the cats off j@p cars from the mid-late 90s up through modern days, probably 15 year old Toyotas being the cream of the crop lol. I'm not even a tweaker never have been, I've just worked in salvage yards and have seen what come in with their stuff already cut off, and I have had a few friends that have had their cats stolen too.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Well, you won't have to worry about that now on your rig. You're safe from the tweaker horde.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well, you won't have to worry about that now on your rig. You're safe from the tweaker horde.
Shhh, it's a secret, but in all reality I typically DD older Japanese stuff... hah but luckily where I live it's just heroin addicts we have to worry about not tweakers. They'll steal the change and cigarettes out of your center console, better not leave any power tools outside. But they're WAYYY too slow moving and lazy to be down there jacking up cars and cutting the cats off lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I scrapped a pellet cat from my son's '93 C1500 last fall and got 50 bucks for it.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Don't forget to add a K&N!
Dang! 50 bucks? A gram of Platinum is around 50 bucks right now..I wonder how much is in a modern convertor?

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Don't forget to add a K&N!
Dang! 50 bucks? A gram of Platinum is around 50 bucks right now..I wonder how much is in a modern convertor?

You must be registered for see images attach

I also scrapped two modern cats (2012 Ford) recently and got 100 each. Last I knew, only factory cats had any real value. Aftermarket ones are basically worthless, or at least they used to be.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
well, the old pellet style ones aren't worth much. If you noticed, they generally steal the cats off j@p cars from the mid-late 90s up through modern days, probably 15 year old Toyotas being the cream of the crop lol. I'm not even a tweaker never have been, I've just worked in salvage yards and have seen what come in with their stuff already cut off, and I have had a few friends that have had their cats stolen too.
Euro cats usually bring good dough too. Audis, bmw, VW. and soobs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamberttt