Delay wipers for a 1973

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adamds86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Hello all, my question is common for here, I would like to make my wipers to have delay on my 1973 GMC but am not sure how to go about it. There are some write ups on here but they aren't too clear about it. I can get a motor and switch/relay from a 79 right from rockauto.com so I am thinking it would just be plug and play from there right? Let me know your guys' expert opinions please and thank you.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
There are three main components needed to do the swap. The delay switch, delay module and the wiper motor. Best to find the setup in an parts truck and remove the components and wire harness. The delay module plugs directly into the switch and then all that is needed is to wire from the module to motor color to color.
Switch and motor are reproduced but not sure about the module. I got the module from the junk yard and used reproduction switch and motor. I'm running a street rod wiring harness in my 74 and once I did the above wiring all I needed to do is supply power from the wiper circuit of the street rod harness to the switch.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks for the link, looks like an easy mod.

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I build the conversion kits for 73-77 trucks....I'll be listing one today on EBay if you can't source a junkyard one. You'll need a 78-up motor AND the wiper motor linkage NUT!! The threaded stud on the wiper motor changed size in 1978 so be sure to get one from the junkyard-then just buy a new motor at the parts store for 78-up.

In my kit, I include a nice GM switch and module as well as color coded leads and a diagram to follow. My wire leads also include the firewall connections as well.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Way cool, one of my donors is an 80 so I should have all the parts..

gmachinz

Harnessworx Inc
Reaction score
First Name
Jabin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If you need, I have several NOS GM switches and a couple NOS pulse /delay modules for 78-83 but they are a bit pricey-nobody makes repros so once they're gone-that's it.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Good to know, thanks..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member