Deep desert fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Man!! Those are some great pics. A DANG DIAMOND BACK!!! And a fat one to!! Was that a dry lake bed in some of the first pics? One of the famous one's? When I lived in Colorado my wife and I did some old gold mine exploring. Some would have old signs at the entrance, "Warning enter at your own risk. Cave In's a danger!" Yeah great! Get your butt in there and cough and you're in there forever! It would be interesting to take a metal detector into some of them. Maybe you'd be lucky and find some gold!
That's in Nevada? And yeah, I like you k5. I'm more interested in where you went and secondly what you had to get there. I have to admit the idea of four wheeling was very appealing to me when I was young but couldn't ever afford it. It's replacing the stuff you tore up that eats you up. Besides, I never knew anyone who went off roading. They were all hot rodders and drag racers.

The dry lake where we camped is off a remote highway on the way to the black rock desert nevada and then we took off from there going ridge to ridge exploring. I always have my detector with me but these were all tungsten mines mostly and not gold or silver but I was still looking for coins and such.

As far as getting there, the dry lake no problem but going up the ridges to the old mines and such you need a built rig with bigger than stock rubber. I am not saying you could not get there with a stock rig but you would destroy it doing so or get stuck in the middle of nowhere with no people around to help. I mean if we got stuck it would be a 15 mile walk just to our motorhome alone and to get to a town would be another 30 miles. Also when you are in the high desert you run into all kinds of ****, deep sand, sharp rocks, snow and mud. Last time we were out we were up at a mine at 7,000 feet and we saw the rain coming. It rained for 1 hour or so and now the dry road was a mud bog to get back out, that is where 38 inch toyo mt's that are 15 inches wide come in handy. Just this time we were flying down a dirt road and it turned to deep sand so I stayed in it and got through with the toyo's at 15psi and a locked rear end, a stock truck would have went down to china town.

Our k5 is set up for this ****, 4.56 gear's, locker's, 12,000lbs winch, dual batteries, co2 tank for air, 8 lug axle's, turbo 400 trans. and 205 t-case, gm vortec roller motor, etc....so you are ready for drastic weather changes that happen in the high desert.

Also when you get your rig set up with good part's you are really not breaking anything, I mean you will find your week spot's but then you upgrade.

Go out and have fun

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Great Pics and of the K5 too. I don't like killing snakes, but he's one that I normally would. But, being he's way out there in his own element and not in a highly occupied area where he could hurt someone I'd have probably left him alone. I only kill the venomous snake and diamond back water snakes around our ponds due to they eat to many fish and there are way to many of them and need thinned out not to mention very brave unlike most snakes that'll crawl away, these diamond back water snakes will flat crawl up to you an eat a fish or frog outta your hand.

I left him alone, we were in the middle of nowhere and thats his turf not our's

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@hischdalechevy,

Well, from what I can see your vehicle is set up good, and like you said it has to be if a person is going out into the kind of terrain you're in. That second pic on this page is fantastic! Is there any vegetation out there besides some grass? No seguaro cactuses, or other big cacti? And that big dry lake in the distance doesn't have a name? It looks like Muroc or one of those places.
Yeah, I bought some off roading magazine for a year one time and looked at all that. It looked like fun, but in Louisiana there's nothing but mud and swamps. I really don't care for any of that. If that's my choice, give me the dry pavement.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
@hischdalechevy,

Well, from what I can see your vehicle is set up good, and like you said it has to be if a person is going out into the kind of terrain you're in. That second pic on this page is fantastic! Is there any vegetation out there besides some grass? No seguaro cactuses, or other big cacti? And that big dry lake in the distance doesn't have a name? It looks like Muroc or one of those places.
Yeah, I bought some off roading magazine for a year one time and looked at all that. It looked like fun, but in Louisiana there's nothing but mud and swamps. I really don't care for any of that. If that's my choice, give me the dry pavement.

No cacti in nevada's high desert but lots of flower's and some pinion pines and a lot of sage brush. We ran into some springs coming out of the ground here and there as well, You also see wild horse's, wild donkey's and a bunch of antelope running around. As for the dry lake its called winnemucca lake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128