Decided on a 350 engine, still deciding on stroking it out or not.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheClassicRed

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
NA
So I Narrowed it down to the SBC mainly because I own alot of parts already, the sleeves are messed up but I'm gonna re sleeve it and the heads I'm gonna get completely redone. I think I'm gonna rebuild the carb I have now and upgrade to the holley sniper later on. This truck is mainly gonna be a daily for me eventually because I really am not into relying on a complex complicated mess that is any truck after 2006.

Both the block and heads are out of a dirt truck racecar, and the block is atleast bored .30 over and I plan on keeping it that way or going up to .40, dad says I should keep it below that since .50 and .60 over you'll start getting heating issues. But this block the way my grandpa was it may be .60 over.

How should I build this engine? It's gonna have either a 4L80E or a 700R4 behind it. More likely the 700R4. With 3/4 tons with 4:10s

I'm looking for atleast a 1:1 hp/tq to ci

I'm new to this so any suggestions are welcome, I'm learning as it goes

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay it it's a flat tappet block,already .030 or ..040 or maybe .060 and you have some mystery heads that may or may not be usable or suitable. Just buy a 96-99 350 Vortec and 4l60e from pik n pull, keep as much of the underwood wiring,the intake and all, grab the ECM and as much of its wiring as you can grab. Now you have a bolt in roller cam motor with decent heads,and fuel injection that will work with those heads.A computer that will work the transmission. All you will be lacking is a 1987 gas tank and sender and a vortec truck fuel pump. With any luck it will be a usable engine with engine as is,with a refresh and a better cam. If you grab parts from an escalade or 3/4 ton burb it will be 4l80 and the ecm to operate it.

Last edited:

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Need to figure what is usable then decide depending on funds and skill level.

If you want to stick with a carb putting a leg in it isn't a bad idea. Stroker kits are available.

Heads may be modified to an extent they may be undesirable for street use. May need all new valves, springs, and ports could be modified. If that the case aftermarket heads aren't that much more than rebuilding what you have.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I agree that a 96-99 Vortec 350 is the best starting point for a good midrange build, but a carburetor build may be a simpler solution. Just make sure the heads are good first (no cracks). Then pick a cam in the range of about 220-225 duration at .050. If the cam lift is too high you will also have to do a little work to modify the heads, so it will be cheaper to stay on the mild side for lift.

You can then add an Edelbrock Performer RPM Vortec intake, a carb with about 650-700 cfm, and an electric fuel pump. You should be able to get into the 350 hp range and have an engine that will be totally reliable for a DD.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Wet manifold Vortecs don't run good cold. Many posts confirm that. That's why I said grab the injection, Vortecs want port fuel injection,not tbi,or carbureators. And you said you wanted to go injected anyway,you aren't going to get an injected performance small block and overdrive transmission with controller any cheaper than this.

Last edited:

TheClassicRed

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
NA
I agree that a 96-99 Vortec 350 is the best starting point for a good midrange build, but a carburetor build may be a simpler solution. Just make sure the heads are good first (no cracks). Then pick a cam in the range of about 220-225 duration at .050. If the cam lift is too high you will also have to do a little work to modify the heads, so it will be cheaper to stay on the mild side for lift.

You can then add an Edelbrock Performer RPM Vortec intake, a carb with about 650-700 cfm, and an electric fuel pump. You should be able to get into the 350 hp range and have an engine that will be totally reliable for a DD.
While it would be nice to find a vortec 350 and just use that I mainly want to use the block and heads I want because they came off my grandfather's racecar. The carb I have is a Carter AFB 650 that came with the trucks blown engine, gonna find probably a high rise on it mainly just for looks and nothing else bc why not

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chype1