Death wobble demystified

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laurentj23

Reaction score
First Name
Laurentius
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Hey folks,

Before I start, I have read the post regarding death wobble and what to look for. So far, I have replaced my drag links, center link(Inner tie Rods), steering gear with new power steering pump and steering shaft with U joint mod. I still felt the vibrations going around 55-65 mph. I also heard clunking noise when i tried to turn my steering wheel to the right.

I managed to check my front driveshaft and al the bolts in the rear are loose! I tightened it up and still hear the clunking noise.

So what's left on the check list? I ordered 4 ball joints and gonna replaced my u joints as well for all 4 which is the front L+R u joints, front shaft u joints and rear u joints.

Any other advise? I really need to fix this before installing my 6" lift kit. I also installed a dual steering stabilizer.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Check the frame near the steering box for cracks. Check mounting bolts on steering box. Can you reproduce the noise parked turning the wheels? If so have someone else turn the steering wheel while you search for the cause. You mention vibrations. Death wobble is more of an increasing oscillation in the steering than a vibration. What condition are your tires in? Are they still balanced?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Is the truck lifted? Did you use lift shackles? Sometimes 4 or 5 degree shims are required to put the caster back in the right place, depending on lift of course. As mentioned above, frame cracks could be the problem too.

glockholiday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4
Engine Size
If it's a crack in the frame near the steering box (which is common) here's a brace that can help. http://www.roughcountry.com/frame-support-brackets-5040.html The frame needs to be fixed first obviously.

Even if you have no cracking this can still help as a brace since the frame still flexes on our trucks in front of the k member.

laurentj23

Reaction score
First Name
Laurentius
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Thanks for the recommendations.
I narrowed down the noise to the wheel u joint. So that's probably the cause of the vibrations and noise while turning. At this time, I m also replacing the sway bar bushings and installing my 6" tuff country lift ez kit. Hopefully I managed to eliminate the vibration and noise.

My tires are brand new and balanced. I did not inspect the condition of the wheels to make sure they are not bent. I've inspected the crack near the steering gear but i did not see any. Im going to purchased the brace and see whether it helps.

Any other suggestions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB