DBW benefits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pauly8186

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Trailering Special Suburban
Engine Size
350 sbc
I'm going to be doing an LQ4 swap in my 81 Suburban. I believe all drive-by-wire (dbw) in GM trucks were installed in 03. Maybe some prior years, but majority in 03.
Now I understand the concept of it, but I would just like to know the True benefits of it. I prefer to be able to mess with the engine under the hood, but with the DBW you really can't.

Are people happy using these in a truck performance aspect?

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
There are advantages from an OEM perspective like ice breakage, cruise control, high idle, brake over ride control. I'm not sure from an end user that there is an advantage. You'd have to get the electronic throttle controls removed from the ECM. They are very picky about Electronic pedal feedback being correct or else it goes into limp home mode.

pauly8186

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Trailering Special Suburban
Engine Size
350 sbc
Most likely I will have a complete donor truck to use. Have there been many problems with them?

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Donor truck makes it simple. Plug it in and go. Much easier than fooling with a cable setup.

Makes setting up cruise wayyyy easier as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade