Davbell22602 first Electolysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Good idea on the grinding stone for the drill HR:waytogo: I hadn't thought about that would be much more cost effective for Dave's purposes :High 5:

:High 5: And of course, a new angle grinder isn't a bad idea either, espeically if he already convinced the wife its a need. :roflbow: But, not knowing his financial condition after spending a Benji on the charger, figured he might want to skimp on the grinder for awhile.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I would get the larger diameter one if I were you, it will last longer. Maybe another inch or so bigger if you can find one.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If funds aren't a big issue, the angle grinder is likely the way to go. I wouldn't recommend it for alot of it, but in a pinch, you can also use that grinder to cut that peice of angle iron you found.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Have fun shopping Dave.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
You must be registered for see images attach

Now its time to cut hole this drum with the milwaukee saw saw. I think I'm gonna leave the lip at top for extra support so the sides dont cave in on me.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Here's it is with the top cut open.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Well, you actally did a better job on yours than I did mine. You just opened up the top of it around the perimeter. I cut the whole top off at the lip seem where the lid meets the drum and joined together. Your top is gonna have alot more strength than mine did cutting it the way you did. I'd say that would likley hold the heavy intake if you wanted it to. :waytogo:

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Well, you actally did a better job on yours than I did mine. You just opened up the top of it around the perimeter. I cut the whole top off at the lip seem where the lid meets the drum and joined together. Your top is gonna have alot more strength than mine did cutting it the way you did. I'd say that would likley hold the heavy intake if you wanted it to. :waytogo:

Now the next step is to cleanup the angle iron. If it doesn't rain anymore I'll start it this evening outside in the driveway.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I think this the best Its gonna get cleaned caused the one side is pitted really bad. I used 50 grit sandpaper on the sanding pad for the angle grinder.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It would be a bit better if you could knock that gray paint off if that's what it is, but for the otherside, that is plenty good enough. Probably much more than necessary and should work very well. You see all that pitting? That is the damage rust does to iron. Rust will eat steel and iron, and that stick there is proof positive. But, still good for this process. It'll be an awful wide cut, but you can probably cut that steel in half with your angle grinder blade if that is all you have to cut it. I happened to have a chop saw and what I used to cut that 1/4in strap I had.
Oh wait, you have a sawzall right?? I assume that is what you called a saw saw, better know as a sawsall, as in saws all. Put a metal cutting blade in it and cut it with that.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
It would be a bit better if you could knock that gray paint off if that's what it is, but for the otherside, that is plenty good enough. Probably much more than necessary and should work very well. You see all that pitting? That is the damage rust does to iron. Rust will eat steel and iron, and that stick there is proof positive. But, still good for this process. It'll be an awful wide cut, but you can probably cut that steel in half with your angle grinder blade if that is all you have to cut it. I happened to have a chop saw and what I used to cut that 1/4in strap I had.
Oh wait, you have a sawzall right?? I assume that is what you called a saw saw, better know as a sawsall, as in saws all. Put a metal cutting blade in it and cut it with that.

I'll see if can get more of that gray paint or whatever that is off in the morning. Then cut it in half with a sawzall. I used the sawzall to cut open the top on the poly drum also.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You nailed it cutting off the top to the poly drum. I wish I had thought to cut mine that way. I also used a sawsall to cut mine.You left alot of the strength and rigidity at the top to support cross braces to hang parts from. I wasn't thinking of hanging parts though. I can get another drum though. My dad and I bought like 20 of those poly drums for $3.50 each. They were used for car wash detergents. All we had to do was clean the soaps and degreasers out of them. So I have another drum out at my dads.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snips71