Damged cross member

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Just curious, would a damaged cross member allow me to feel the transmission through my seat? It's not so noticeable under highway speeds, but once the truck gets there, I can almost feel the gears in the case. Where would I go to get a direct replacement online?

Thanks!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How damaged is it? Normally I'd say NO but.... to clarify a couple things, I assume your talking the crossmember to the tail end of the trans? Then, how bad is it If it's a bent a little, NO it should not. If it's bent to the point it's kicked the ass of trans enough distance in one direction or another, the problem you're likely feeling is most likely to be a bad driveshaft angle. If it's twisted to the point the steel crossmember is touching the aluminum part of the transt, then you may be getting engine and trans vibration carried thru the frame of the truck. Normally set up properly, and using rubber trans mounts and motor mounts you should not be feeling the vibration. If you have solid mounts like used in race cars, then of couse you will feel the vibration throughout the frame and into the cab.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
How damaged is it? Normally I'd say NO but.... to clarify a couple things, I assume your talking the crossmember to the tail end of the trans? Then, how bad is it If it's a bent a little, NO it should not. If it's bent to the point it's kicked the ass of trans enough distance in one direction or another, the problem you're likely feeling is most likely to be a bad driveshaft angle. If it's twisted to the point the steel crossmember is touching the aluminum part of the transt, then you may be getting engine and trans vibration carried thru the frame of the truck. Normally set up properly, and using rubber trans mounts and motor mounts you should not be feeling the vibration. If you have solid mounts like used in race cars, then of couse you will feel the vibration throughout the frame and into the cab.

It looks like it took a tree stump. It's basically perpendicular to the frame. I haven't looked at it thoroughly; but when Meinecke had it up, they pointed out the damaged cross member.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
It looks like it took a tree stump. It's basically perpendicular to the frame. I haven't looked at it thoroughly; but when Meinecke had it up, they pointed out the damaged cross member.

It's sure possible then. As said, if it threw the angle of the driveshaft off and made the U joint wear premature, then it could do it. Off a little shouldn't hurt much. I don't have any 4x4 crossmembers I can cut loose of but sure have a few 2wd's I'd donate for shipping cost. Provided I can find them. I have a feeling they got moved to my dads. If in no big hurry for one, I can put it on the "Next Trip to Dads" list, or when he calls asking me if I want him to bring something.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
It's sure possible then. As said, if it threw the angle of the driveshaft off and made the U joint wear premature, then it could do it. Off a little shouldn't hurt much. I don't have any 4x4 crossmembers I can cut loose of but sure have a few 2wd's I'd donate for shipping cost. Provided I can find them. I have a feeling they got moved to my dads. If in no big hurry for one, I can put it on the "Next Trip to Dads" list, or when he calls asking me if I want him to bring something.

I'd take you up on that. I'm not in a hurry either thanks to the weather up here. Let me know when you're ready.

Thanks!

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Did you feel it before or after Meineke??? I wouldn't be surprised if they caused the damage.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
How hard would it be for you to get a pic of this crossmember so I know to get the right one when out at my dads. I'm pretty certain it's going to be the same, but to be sure...

The 4x4 crossmembers vary a bit, but I believe the 2wd are all the same. The one where it bolts on the frame flange on one side, then goes to the outside of the frame rail and bolts into the side of the frame on the other. IIRC, it bolts to the driver side frame flange, then bolts to the frame rail on the passenger side. I may even had a pic of one on my computer, I could post, then you compare to yours too.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
How hard would it be for you to get a pic of this crossmember so I know to get the right one when out at my dads. I'm pretty certain it's going to be the same, but to be sure...

The 4x4 crossmembers vary a bit, but I believe the 2wd are all the same. The one where it bolts on the frame flange on one side, then goes to the outside of the frame rail and bolts into the side of the frame on the other. IIRC, it bolts to the driver side frame flange, then bolts to the frame rail on the passenger side. I may even had a pic of one on my computer, I could post, then you compare to yours too.

I should be able to get a pic. I'll have to wait for the snow to melt away b4 getting one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04