Damaged block from shipping!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
LTL companies could **** up a wet dream... I'm fighting for a 15K claim on some lab equipment a UPS freight driver dropped on the dock last Friday. After telling me he had a delivery i told him to unload it and come back and get me to inspect it, then he never came back.

I drove a regular package van for UPS during the Christmas rush. Part of our training was how to hide visibly damaged packages from the customer. The guy training me said if a package is damaged on one side, you carry the box with the damaged side against your chest and then as you put it down you spin it so the damage is facing the wall. His demonstration included him saying "You get paid to deliver boxes, we have other people that get paid to handle damage claims. Get the signature and get out."

My experience being on the receiving end was when I had a complete engine shipped to me. I had pictures taken by the sender before it shipped, pictures of the smashed valve cover when it arrived, and the driver's signature stating it came off the truck that way. The LTL carrier, Yellow Freight (which now goes by YRC Freight, YRC Reimer, New Penn, Holland and Reddaway) said the pictures didn't prove the damage occurred while they were in possession of it. I would of had to take them to small claims to get anywhere so I let it go.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I drove a regular package van for UPS during the Christmas rush. Part of our training was how to hide visibly damaged packages from the customer. The guy training me said if a package is damaged on one side, you carry the box with the damaged side against your chest and then as you put it down you spin it so the damage is facing the wall.

I can't believe a company like UPS would instruct their drivers to commit what is essentially fraud. Talk about bad press and maybe even lawsuits! And I don't remember the last time I had to sign for a UPS package.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Yeah they hosed him around for a long time.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So the claim has been submitted by the shipper who has been amazing helping me get it all sorted. We're told it will take 25 to 30 days to process the claim. Now lets see if Manitoulin Transport does the right thing and accepts accountability for the damage they caused. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome of this.

Last edited:

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
May the Force be with you.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
nobody mentioned this but that crack is on the starter ear. it's not all that uncommon to crack there with normal use. nobody took into account it could have been shipped this way. highdesertranger

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
no, I am just saying that's a common area for cracks. highdesertranger

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have the pictures of it on the stand and on the skid as its being dropped of at the shipping company. There was no crack there before.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I can't believe a company like UPS would instruct their drivers to commit what is essentially fraud. Talk about bad press and maybe even lawsuits! And I don't remember the last time I had to sign for a UPS package.
All companies do it. Freight companies, Fed Ex etc. USPS is one that will send you the damaged contents with an apology letter and say IF your item was insured, file a claim, and that's end of sentence. If you don't have insurance, you're just fuct.

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
Inspect shipment. If damaged refuse it????

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This makes me want to put my boot in any UPS drivers ass...and punch a baby!

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
All companies do it. Freight companies, Fed Ex etc. USPS is one that will send you the damaged contents with an apology letter and say IF your item was insured, file a claim, and that's end of sentence. If you don't have insurance, you're just fuct.

I saw a gradual shift in policy during my 20 years at FedEx. It started out with "Send it on through" and attaching a note by the QA dept. acknowledging the damage and instructions to contact the shipper blah blah blah. FedEx finally realized this was costing them business and started reversing damages directly back to the shipper because the person on the receiving end, especially a residential customer, would call the shipper and raise holy hell about the damage...and usually end the call with something along the lines of "and don't ship the replacement with that damned FedEx." Shippers on the other hand are aware that a certain amount of product will get lost or damaged in transit and just send another one out. What they don't want to deal with is the bitchy phone calls from their customers.

It's been a long time since I drove a UPS truck, maybe they've changed their policy as well, but one thing that won't change is them giving their drivers enough time to go back to a stop to make sure everything is ok.

paulrowe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just wanted to update this to report that Manitoulin Trucking did the right thing and covered the damage to the block. It took a long time and I was growing sceptical, but I'm pleasantly surprised.I've got to see about trying to get it welded. I've got nothing to loose now because the block was FREE. When I broke the piece off I was glad to see the dowel hole was still intact. Since it cracked thru the bolt hole I have a nice alignment datum. I know this is a crap shoot but its worth a try!

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli