Daily driver turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
I will paint the frame, so all the underside will be protected, hopefully for the rest of my life. Speaking of my life, Doc said Cancer is in remission, so full steam ahead. I may buy an exhaust manifold for the passenger side, to speed up the fabrication, though have Mig, and Tig welders, and both will weld SS. The turbo ( Borg Warner 475 T6 1.12 PR) looks like it will set on the Passenger side about where the battery is now, which will be switched to the drivers side just like a diesel setup on the 85 with the 6.2 Detroit. Will run 2.5 SS tubing to the pass side and tie it in there for the hot side, with an expansion joint. I am undecided about an intercooler, but think I can squeeze one in front of the rad along with the Trans cooler. Radiator is stock, never gets hot with the 454, even when hauling heavy loads. I will have a local rad shop that does excellent work, (Webbers in Yakima WA), rod it and clean it.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Other mods will include a hydro boost setup off an 86 Suburban, will mod the stock brake peddle. Buying two front fenders, inner and outer rockers, cab mounts and maybe floor. My cab is very rusty, but have not found a doner truck that I can afford with a cab that is close in year to mine. Must remain round eye, and fit existing body parts, so I think up to 78? I live in Central Wa St. so if anyone in the NW hears of a decent cab at a fair price, yank my chain. I will shorten my own drive line, and upgrade to 1350 u joints. Im will fab a new front drive shaft as it will be to short. Also, I will do all new rubber parts throughout, (UGH) and install the Classic Auto sound stereo, amp, and speakers. As per usual, will take lots of pics and maybe lots of video for you tube. While I am a journeyman machinist, and spent a lifetime playing with cars, I also realize that I have never turboed anything. So turbo guys chime in, you Know Rustynail is gonna.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
First pic is the motor.
Second is the truck, interesting in that it shows my 64 Nova, the Bridgeport mill, and Cleman's mountain in the background.
Third is the stock starter, which I want to replace with a mini starter, so if anyone reading this, has done this with success, post me.
At this time I think I will go carb, HP 950 Holly, or Quick Fuel.

Attachments

• IMG_1873~photo.JPG
    IMG_1873~photo.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2791~photo.JPG
    IMG_2791~photo.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2586~photo.JPG
    IMG_2586~photo.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 27

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
What exhaust manifold are you planning to run with the 454 for the t6 turbo? I only really found one place that seem to have a log style manifold for a single set up. Is the down pipe and the cross over going to run through the same spot by the starter? I have been looking at possibly run the cross over in front of the starter and bring it up at the middle of the manifold, leaving enough room for a 4" or 5" down pipe.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
I took the K20m to the body shop, and the 85 c10 to a diesel shop, so things are getting done. While I replaced the starter, batteries, glow plug controller, had the injector pump rebuilt.....I could not get the 85 running. I will run it for awhile as it is, this will be my Bonneville wood hauler.....yeah makes no since. The LQ motor with all the goodies will go in here, but I still need to haul wood.... Well Ol' blue may get pressed back into service, the one on the right in the profile picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0650~photo.JPG
    IMG_0650~photo.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3547~photo.JPG
    IMG_3547~photo.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3550~photo.JPG
    IMG_3550~photo.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 21

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
While my truck was being worked on, (at the body shop,) they noticed my passenger side tank leaking, so now I have to go down there tomorrow early, and take my truck home. I have heard that 87 tanks are baffled, so am going that route, just in case I decide to go FI, (NOT.) For now I will drain/drop the offending tank an take the truck back tomorrow. I have waited months to get in there, so am motivated to be quick. I am assuming that they will fit, tell me if I am wrong.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
There is always something.... I hope the tank swap is quick for you.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
So It is Turbo4whl, but I was able to pull the tank in the back gravel lot. Was relatively easy, took an hour but the most time was spent draining the tank. At least they are 20's so I know the 87's should go right in. I am going to buy everything new, as these are original, and it would be so nice to not have to carry the two gallon gas can for when I run out. The tank wiring as well as the switch wiring are toast, got really hot once, so need to test the switch. I will try to duplicate the original wire color as that will help the next guy or girl.
Tomorrow Jan and I are going up the road to get the wood from all the elk hunter camps. Best haul ever, 'bout half a cord. got one load today, the rest tomorrow.

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
I am looking at turbo manifolds, I like this one because I can use the stock drivers side exhaust manifold.
This allows me to run the two wastegates, but will still need blowoff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisd9997