Daily Drag Racer times

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
7700 rpm sounds a bit much to me. My 2000 ss with the ls1 starts to red line at 5500 and the tach only goes to 7000. Not calling you a liar I just don't get how you get an extra 2200 rpm out of an older motor than the ls1? What was done to the motor to get that high of rpms without blowing it up? Genuinely curious about this.

You must be registered for see images attach

We have been spoiled with late model overdrive transmissions. GM built a lot of trucks with 4.10 gears, in all honesty 2800 rpm is nothing to a engine in good mechanical condition. If there was any concern about long term durability or warranty claims, that much gear would have never been authorized for sale.

We all like to think we beat up and abuse our trucks, the durability and reliability testing GM put their cars and trucks thru is 10 times worse than anything the in the field.

While I agree 5.13s would be a little uncomfortable, I’m betting a 4L80 would tame that enough for daily use.

I did work with a guy that had 4.88 gears in 70 nova, it had a really rowdy 377 small block. He drove that car whenever it was nice, regardless of distance. I certainly wouldn’t want to, and not because of the gear. The damn “Dronemaster” exhaust was so loud, he drove the car with ear muffs to protect his hearing. The car was a blast, it sounded great shifting at 7700rpm.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
7700 rpm sounds a bit much to me. My 2000 ss with the ls1 starts to red line at 5500 and the tach only goes to 7000. Not calling you a liar I just don't get how you get an extra 2200 rpm out of an older motor than the ls1? What was done to the motor to get that high of rpms without blowing it up? Genuinely curious about this.

To be honest, I don’t know the specifics of his build. He sold the car years ago. I’m not much of a chevy giy (my GMC is olds powered!) but he had a aftermarket crank, rods, bottom of the page camshaft, aftermarket heads, etc. I do know he had a 8k rpm Autometer tach, and used most of it.

Vintage Musclecar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado 3500
Engine Size
FWIW;

Mark Jones is the real deal guys, he's not BS'ing when he tells you what his stuff runs.

Mark is a master at making absolutely silly power using seemingly mundane parts. He's also a master at making the entire vehicle he's working with as efficient as possible to turn in the quickest time slips it can.

Type in "Mark Jones Vortecpro" into your favorite search engine and read up on what his customers have to say about his engines. You'll find a brutally quick green Corvette with one of Mark's pump gas 496 combinations in it that gets driven all over the place as well as a number of Chevelles (he has a LOT of customers over on the chevelles.com website).

Keep an eye out for this red `67 Chevelle that ran one of his pump gas 496 combinations about 10 or so years ago, you'll be shocked at how quick it ran with a very basic--but well dialed-in iron head combination.

$1.00 worth of free advice: When Mark Jones speaks, you should listen--intently. He's a good guy and he'll tell you what you need to know--whether you want to hear it or not. ;)

*EDIT* almost forgot to add--

7500+ rpm is nothing for an old school small block if it's put together correctly. 25+ years ago my DD was a `75 Monza with a 355 in it that I routinely wound well over 7000 on a daily basis--with nothing more than a stock 4 bolt block, a cast crank, "O" rods with good bolts, TRW forged 11-1 pistons (all balanced of course), "double hump" style heads and an old Erson solid flat tappet cam. To this day that was one of the best combinations I had the most fun with.

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I'm still wondering why we're hung up on 7,000 rpms

There's motors that run 11,000 rpms

I have a friend with a pro street, LS7 454 powered oldsmobile

It hits 2nd gear at 7500

This is nothing new

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Just gotta buy GOOD parts!!!!!
AND put them together right! There's plenty of guys that pay good money for the wrong top notch parts and then put them together poorly.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Of course you can BUILD a motor to run high rpms but, this is a DAILY DRIVER THREAD. Something you drive back and forth to work and drive mostly every where. Which means they're mostly stock. That's what makes it fun to see what every day run of the mill cars run. We could always start another thread that has built motor times in it. That would be cool too.

I doubt that you would run your Honda or Toyota or whatever stock car you drive daily up to 7000 rpm. That's the point I was trying to make. You have to have a cam that's still pulling at that rpm or it's just unnecessary to Rev it that high. Or maybe I'm just a pu$$y that doesn't want to Rev his motor that high. Lol

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
That's pretty valid ^

Does any of this chit have a tag, insurance, and get gas put in its tank a couple times a week?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Whenever I get Crusty Biscuit built, I will post up the slowest time on here...lol...

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Of course you can BUILD a motor to run high rpms but, this is a DAILY DRIVER THREAD. Something you drive back and forth to work and drive mostly every where. Which means they're mostly stock. That's what makes it fun to see what every day run of the mill cars run. We could always start another thread that has built motor times in it. That would be cool too.

I doubt that you would run your Honda or Toyota or whatever stock car you drive daily up to 7000 rpm. That's the point I was trying to make. You have to have a cam that's still pulling at that rpm or it's just unnecessary to Rev it that high. Or maybe I'm just a pu$$y that doesn't want to Rev his motor that high. Lol
My high school senior project was an 89 Honda CRX that we put a Japanese ZC motor in and a $500 turbo kit that was mostly hand built. It redlined out at about 8400RPM and ran 15PSI of boost most of the time. Daily driven. It ran in the 13's on street tires and got insane gas mileage on the highway because it still had the HF transmission in it, that was geared for gas mileage. We would blow a motor up every couple months(broken ring lands on multiple pistons) and then just go down to Long beach and pick another one up for about $150. Drop it in with a few hours work and off it would go again.

7k in a SBC is pretty easy to do, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone is driving around on a motor that redlines up there on the street. It isn't practical, but I bet it's fun. Just because it tops out there doesn't mean they send it there all the time.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
I'd have to be pretty pissed off with life to endure getting my a$$ smacked constantly at 7500 every time I leave a stop light lmao

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
That's pretty valid ^

Does any of this chit have a tag, insurance, and get gas put in its tank a couple times a week?
Put gas in a couple times a week? You must be talking about me and a few others. My daily has 277,000 miles on it.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Put gas in a couple times a week? You must be talking about me and a few others. My daily has 277,000 miles on it.

My suburban is a DD, so I posted its times. It also takes gas several times a week lol

(Only because I won't put more than 40$ at a time)

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
11.98 is gonna be hard to beat. @yevgenievich had the fastest time with his Tahoe. Hes gonna have to try again. Lol
I may just kiss 11s when I get my true daily back on the road (not the beater I posted earlier), I'll check back in late fall...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chad112507