Cut New Dash Pad For Speaker Install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I need an update here pliz.

TMI "Pro Classic Sport" dash pad (the one pictured in OP) arrived today. I'm probably going to buy the matching door panels, as well. Something is going to have to get cut for the front speakers, expensive or not.

You must be registered for see images attach

Probably going to cut the door panels, as they appear they are going to need cutting anyway for the power locks and windows. Probably going to put them in the front lower part of the door panels. I have already gotten rid of the 3.5" speakers that go under the dash pad and bought a pair of 6" speakers to go in the doors.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I used a dash pad from Cheyenne Pickups that had perforations for a center dash speaker, which let me use this 4x10 RetroSound speaker. Certainly not great, but much better than OE, and would be a good combo with some 6x9s mounted in enclosures behind the doors.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068D412UK/RetroSound-D-412UK-Dash-Speaker.html

Last edited:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm gonna forget about the dash speakers and hack up door panels instead. On my way to get some new speakers now, actually.

Thanks for the advice, fellas. I do appreciate it. They'll be plenty more questions in the very near future, believe me.

Keep in mind, if you choose to cut low in the door metal, there is a diagonal brace in the front corner of the door.

Maybe this instead of cutting:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_044C100614/Q-Forms-Kick-Panel-Enclosures-Medium-dark-gray.html

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
I might just try to find another dash pad with the square-shaped series of holes drilled in them to release the tunes if I can't figure out how to make these work. The original one I need at LMC is "Backordered". I have had bad experiences with backordered parts (not car parts but gun parts) and didn't want to order anything under backorder status. I placed an order for a backordered South African FAL muzzle brake once at $30. Then, several years later when these things became super popular and I had forgotten I even ordered one, the place got another shipment of them in and fulfilled my backordered muzzle brake order - at ten times the $30 price I originally ordered it for. They said it was a "computer glitch" and refunded my money (refusing to honor their original backordered price, BTW), but after that I just don't like messing with backordered parts.

i'd probably go with Brother's dash pad, OEM. I have a 1988 Jimmy and it'll need a new dash for sure (it has a Military Blazer dash in it, idk why) and i'm probably going to go with what's pictured below. I've heard Brothers do dashes better than LMC but it's rumored idk. It does have speaker holes already but then again it isn't the fancy stitched one you want. I guess compare the holes of the old dash to your new one and get a real fine drill bit and make damn sure you actually wanna do it.

just_some_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Barclay
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer Siverado
Engine Size
5.7L
It's me! It's me! It's Ernest T! Comin' back atcha' with more questions on how to fix up this damn K5 money pit I am quickly getting buried in!

I have the standard 35 year old cracking dash pad. Not only is it cracked, it's actually faded from its original 1980's blue color to a dull dark gray. My car had a color change paint job at some point but the interior was not given the same treatment. Depending on how much fading has occurred the interior trim is either bright blue, "Smurf Blue", or dull gray. Most of the blue is in the back since the back windows are tinted so black you could probably safely observe a nuclear test in the Nevada desert through them.

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting one of these super fancy LMC dash pads with the stitching made of fiberglass and "wrapped with a premium padded black vinyl upholstery". These things look pretty nice but they have no speaker holes. can I just cut these things with a hole saw drill attachment and screw on some 3.5" speaker grilles? Or, do I use the pattern from the old dash pad and drill a square-shaped series of holes to release my tunes from beneath the pad?

This is what they look like:

Here is a link to the product:

https://www.lmctruck.com/1973-91-chevy-gmc/dash-components/csb-1973-78-dash-pads

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Just a heads up, the $400 TMI dash pad sold by LMC is a total piece of ****.

86c10twotone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I used a dash pad from Cheyenne Pickups that had perforations for a center dash speaker, which let me use this 4x10 RetroSound speaker. Certainly not great, but much better than OE, and would be a good combo with some 6x9s mounted in enclosures behind the doors.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068D412UK/RetroSound-D-412UK-Dash-Speaker.html

That thing is bowed up on the right side of the defrost vent . I’m attempting to install 1 now and having the same issue.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
did my dash with an old cover.. cost? $100 for all the work :)

Attachments

• _DSC4063.jpg
    _DSC4063.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 89
  • _DSC4064.jpg
    _DSC4064.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 82
  • _DSC4066.jpg
    _DSC4066.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 86
  • _DSC4067.jpg
    _DSC4067.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 98
  • _DSC4079.jpg
    _DSC4079.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 74

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
Just a heads up, the $400 TMI dash pad sold by LMC is a total piece of ****.
What was so bad about it?
Fit, Finish, Overall look, installation issues???

I've seen them in a lot of trucks in the various truck mags and have been curious about them their seats and other panels. Looks like good stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr